Too old to "give it some" - my birthday weekend.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'm 55 today, & I've had a great weekend after a very shitty week. I lost a close relative & mentor on Wednesday. Closely related to my parents too, so all of those memories came flooding back. TBH, I struggled through this week :(

My "recovery" started on Friday night. The Fired Up boys were booked for a zero pressure local pub gig - actually, the local pub of our bassist. Not a usual gig for us. A striped down & have fun gig, I was looking forward to this as a much needed tonic. At such gigs, we tend to play tricks on each other. I usually throw them some odd signatures & comedy fills, & fills over the bar ;) (evidence in the video)

During the gig, the singist decided to announce that it's my 55th birthday. At the end of the gig, another drummer approached me & said that I didn't play like a 55 year old. I asked him what he meant. He said I was way too dynamic & explosive for a guy my age. I took that as the best damn compliment I've had in a long time.

Here's a variety of clips from the gig. Decide for yourselves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyY1pKk_-48&feature=youtu.be Hit HD :)

I have a very busy life, so this weekend was a rare treat for me. A fabulous day out with my long suffering wife yesterday, & some great chill time with the (grown up) kids today. Back to the grindstone tomorrow :(

Here's a shot of the special cake they arranged for me :) Not too shabby!

Attachments

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
That's fantastic, Andy!! I'm glad you had some good to help counter the difficult.

Happy birthday, my friend.

Thunder 42

Silver Member
Happy birthday, Andy! Wishing you a better week and all the best this new year!! What a great comment and yes, it looked like a blast last night...

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
hey Andy, Happy Birthday, man. That's a great cake they got for you. The hoops are a little bent, but that's ok. Great playing on the video. Hope you have a good week next week. Sorry to hear about your friend's passing.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Happy 55th Birthday Andy=love the cake! So sorry for your loss though and the bad week. I know all the memories are bitter sweet and I hope you find some peace man. But the gig looked like fun-everyone having fun. For an "old dude" you were getting it on especially at 5:30 minutes or so the Steppenwolf song-hell yeah!!!;);) Then too for an "old dude" you build pretty Guru-vy drums-good to know you'll be around a long time so you can build me one-one day ;)

no talent

At the end of the gig, another drummer approached me & said that I didn't play like a 55 year old. I asked him what he meant. He said I was way too dynamic & explosive for a guy my age. I took that as the best damn compliment I've had in a long time.

Here's a shot of the special cake they arranged for me :) Not too shabby!
Happy Birthday Andy, certainly one of my favorite drummers.

Is that cake babinga or just another wrap special from Guru.....

opentune

Platinum Member
happy birthday. love your playing, a great fun band.
and nice cake too (though a bit of lug splay)

Magenta

Platinum Member
My very dear friend, what a week you had.

I'm so sorry for the crap part, but oh my, the good bits were FAB! (Spesh "Hold The Line". You know you thought about me.)

Please tell me it was fruit caek, not chocolate.

Mount Saint Elle'ns

Silver Member
Happy Birthday, Andy!!

I really enjoyed watching the video clips. You drum with a lot of power and with a lot of precision. Great playing. I could feel how full of energy you were!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I'm so sorry for the crap part, but oh my, the good bits were FAB!
That pretty much sums up the week. Polar opposites!

happy birthday. love your playing, a great fun band.
and nice cake too (though a bit of lug splay)

I like how the lug design has been incorporated too.
Yes, nota bad job on that, although I won't be incorporating the dried spaghetti supporting structure element of the design anytime soon :)

Is that cake babinga or just another wrap special from Guru.....
It's bubinga, & remember, it's not "wrap" anymore, it's "finish ply" ;)

For an "old dude" you were getting it on especially at 5:30 minutes or so the Steppenwolf song-hell yeah!!!;);)
Despite appearances, we are permitted to stretch out a little from time to time :)

Happy Birthday Andy!
Thanks Ian :)

The hoops are a little bent, but that's ok.
Thank you for your kind words, & yes, a few build issues with the cake ;)

What a great comment and yes, it looked like a blast last night...
Yes, I was pretty chuffed with that comment!

Glad the weekend went well
It needed to, on the back of such a shitty week :(

That's fantastic, Andy!! I'm glad you had some good to help counter the difficult.
I'm grateful for the balance :)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Happy birthday my dear friend, I hope you are having a wonderful day :)

I'd like to see you taking a rimshot at that caek! :)

That clip is like a F.U. greatest hits, I like the sound and the drumming, you're a badass man!

I recognise that kitchen table so well, wish I was there to celebrate with you, young man!

Last edited:

Fresh

I am sorry for your loss Andy.

Hope the time with family, the birthday and playing music has given you some much needed relaxation.

steadypocket

Gold Member
hey Andy, Happy Birthday, man. That's a great cake they got for you. The hoops are a little bent, but that's ok. Great playing on the video. Hope you have a good week next week. Sorry to hear about your friend's passing.
Those hoops aren't bent. Has to be the camera angle and in true Guru fashion, rest assured that all three hoop types were evaluated to ensure that the best type was chosen for that particular flavor of cake.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Andy, there's no way you're that old. I had you figured for someone MY age! Many happy returns and I am glad things are looking up. Cheers!