too funky?? who knew...

Retrovertigo

lately im finding it tough to just play a groove without really digging in like im playing some kind of monster groove. example: the man in me - bob dylan or the weight by the band. im mean the grooves are super simple but its really tough to match such a killer feel without laying into it like a RHCP groove. no rim shots.. i know! charlie watts was able to do this sort of thing really well too. i really noticed it when i was recording a track for someone else. I was listening to play back thinking that im making this intimate tune way too funky.

sometimes a song calls to just play the center of the snare with no rim shots and unaccented 8th notes on the hats. and that has been the hardest habit for me to break.

ChipJohns

Success = boom tap boom tap (repeat)

practice keeping it simple. Practice playing to metronome for bar after bar. Don't deviate. No fills. Not fast but a nice comfortable tempo.

Conditioning ourselves to play simple and solid. Condition!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
lately im finding it tough to just play a groove without really digging in like im playing some kind of monster groove...

sometimes a song calls to just play the center of the snare with no rim shots and unaccented 8th notes on the hats. and that has been the hardest habit for me to break.
It's also a mindset thing. Don't feel like you have to play a "monster groove" for a song to work. Sometimes you just have to let go. It's very freeing. You may think you are playing boring, if you feel like that, chances are you're doing good. If you have a GREAT song, a lot of times the best thing you can do is stay out of the way so the song can shine it's light unto the listeners.

Retrovertigo

completely agree with everybody above. sometime's we're cruising along and the singer is digging in and im thinking ..."yea... burn this place down" but if i just fight my urge to blast in, things definitely sound much better.

its a process... an extremely awesome one at that.

yeah... locking in on a metronome and strictly playing a groove of any sort has helped. i actually enjoy playing to a click.

W

wy yung

An amateur will overcompensate by over playing where a professional would simply play what is needed. I see this all the time.

One must allow the music to tell one what to do. If you listen carefully, it will tell you. Playing an instrument within an ensemble is more about listening than anything else.

jjmason777

We are doing a song by Collective Soul right now in my cover band. It's called Heavy. That song rocks, and it's all done on the hats, kick and snare! Not a crash or a tom in the whole tune. It took a lot of discipline to not hit a crash cymbal while learning it. Fun stuff!