Tom-inique Technique

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I've been watching some repinique videos. I want to play some of the rhythms on my set. Flipping my twelve inch tom(on a snare stand) over and using the reso side seems to sound OK for the techniques, I used to play djembe so it is pretty satisfying to get some of the nuance out of a tom using one stick, but it has me thinking about modding the rim to be easier to play. I'm wondering if there is any better way than a hack saw, file and sand paper... Maybe just getting a new rim? I could just get a repinique, and swap it off the stand, but that would be too easy.

adamosmianski

If you want the sound to be as authentic as possible buy repinique. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're clearly playing a drum set version of a repinique part, just play it on your high tom, or on your snare with the wires off. If you don't care for that sound, but don't want to drop the dough on a rep, you could always use a spare snare or tom and reef it.

I would be remiss if I didn't throw a shameless self-plug in here, as I just wrote about this exact thing for Modern Drummer. Check out the August 2014 issue.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I am more worried about my hand, maybe just a low profile rim would work.

Pearl's Brazilian kit is interesting, but the repinique ergonomics are all wrong.

adamosmianski

That is pretty interesting, but that seems like a lot of money to drop and a lot of space to take up for a such a specialized instrument. You're not going to take that on your next wedding gig. And yeah, you'd definitely have to do something about the placement of the rep.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
That is pretty interesting, but that seems like a lot of money to drop and a lot of space to take up for a such a specialized instrument. You're not going to take that on your next wedding gig. And yeah, you'd definitely have to do something about the placement of the rep.
It actually looks really versatile to me, like a Sonor jungle kit that you could also use for samba circles, or Latin jazz.