To what extent does your personality....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Any truth to this statement? I'm not sure.

The better you can imitate, the better drummer you are.
Perhaps. I believe in the beginning we all imitate. But through that you assimilate a d you start coming out anyway. I think it's good to nail the sound or the feel when doing covers but even when you do that, who you are comes through anyway.

dmacc

Platinum Member
Perhaps. I believe in the beginning we all imitate. But through that you assimilate a d you start coming out anyway. I think it's good to nail the sound or the feel when doing covers but even when you do that, who you are comes through anyway.
+1..............................

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I tend to think it is possible to appreciate music from a musician you otherwise wouldn't like if you knew him/her.

A good example is Hilary Jones. I think she's a fine drummer and I really like what she plays. But she's pretty extreme politically and I find her a bit tough to take. When she plays music, she doesn't come across at all the way she does when she's writing.

There are a lot of other musicians whose music I enjoy but who aren't the best people. So I dunno.
Good example, Larry. It shows the beauty of music, where what we play gives no indication of our religion or politics (lyrics notwithstanding). Truly the universal language ...

... as long as it's not C&W, metal, thrash, hip hop, modern RnB or autotune pop :)

Actually, going the other way, I had a good pal in a previous job who worked in IT but played in a metal band on the side and was way into Rammstein, which I hated. He was a great guy and I enjoyed the passion he had for his music. I'm friends with quite a few metalheads here too, some of whom no doubt find my band's music dull.

Another example, around 1980 my band was supported by a band called The Real F* Idiots and they made the most evil horrible din that made grunge sound like Steely Dan ... lovely people :)

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
There's a famous jazz quite about growth a s musician through our influences - assimilate, imitate, innovate
I believe in the beginning we all imitate. But through that you assimilate a d you start coming out anyway.
I guess that depends on your definition of "assimilate": if one means to make like to or to cause to resemble, then "assimilate" and "imitate" are synonymous. If one means to absorb and (metaphorically) incorporate, then I would say that is close to the mark for how I go about it.

Having played in originals bands for the last decade or so I've recently gone back to playing standards/other people's music; typically I will listen to the recordings and work out the basic arrangement (4 bar Intro, 8 bars Verse, 8 bars Chorus, Middle 8 etc) and then ignore almost everything about the original artist's version and treat the song as if we had written it: so from that point it is down to my relationship with the bass player to establish a groove and the leads and vocal do their thing on top of it and so on . . .

Interestingly, I've found that covers of covers are sometimes a more preferable reference point. We started playing Glory Box by Portishead recently and their arrangement and little details (e.g. the echo-chamber loop at the end) didn't really suit us; the version played by John Martyn was much more our thing so I chose that version as my inspiration before we started patching together our take on the song.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Which begs the question.....if I don't care for a drummer personally, like if I think they are closed minded boorish and shut off...does that mean our drumming sensibilties will clash as well?
A good example is Hilary Jones. I think she's a fine drummer and I really like what she plays. But she's pretty extreme politically and I find her a bit tough to take. When she plays music, she doesn't come across at all the way she does when she's writing.
All I can say is that there's drummers and musicians that I admire in the professional world of music, through their playing, nothing else, I don't know them, other than what I feel when I listen to them, I do not know their respective personality, but you can read a lot into body language and since our personality is showing through what we play, my guess is that the one who I admire will have a personality which I could get along with, providing of course that the feeling is mutual, as far as personality is concerned :)

I like Hilary Jones's playing, and yes, she's into political stuff nowadays, but musicaly, there's good chances that I'll like her personality, the fact that she feel strongly about a political view doesn't bother me, many of my musicians friends which I can relate both on a personality level as well as a musician have strong feelings about certain aspect of life and have very different opinions than mine, it doesn't create a barrier, on the contrary, it's the emphasis of great discussions on a given topic, admittedly, often about music, since it's were our common ground is based :)

D

drumfreak1987

when i play, people can tell i have a sense of humor, 'cause my drumming is a joke!!! haha!

8Mile

Platinum Member
I'm not sure you're making a fair statement. Politics, like religion, are just those things people don't discuss, and probably shouldn't, because they're personal and it doesn't really matter which way you lean at all, when you look at the music we all make.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't enjoy discussing politics, either. And it certainly won't stop me from listening to the music a person makes. But larry asked the question about whether personality comes through in how a musician played. I think a person's political views are part of their personality and I guess I'm saying a musician's playing can have nothing to do with their personality.

In this instance, if Hilary is passionate about her playing and makes great music regardless, then it doesn't matter, right?
Yes, I agree. It doesn't matter.

You're also implying that she might not be the 'best people' because of those politics? Then the same thing could be said of every one of us here because we all don't think the same, especially when it comes to politics and religion. another reason why we don't discuss those here, right?
I wasn't implying Hilary isn't a good person. I was thinking of people like Miles who apparently was abusive towards women, among other things. Yet I find his music positively beautiful. Again, I'm using examples to show that I believe musician's music and personality can be distinct.

Sorry to derail, I just wanted to point that out before this thread becomes some kind of political (and/or religious) hate-fest. Am I wrong here? Correct me if I'm wrong if I've over-stepped a boundary.
Not at all. I probably wasn't clear enough about what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
8 mile, I take it you are "friends" with Hilary on facebook (or were)?
Karl,

No, but someone mentioned it on the internet and I checked some of the stuff on her page out. I was struck by how there wasn't anything music-related on her page and it was pretty much all politics. And kind of angry-sounding political stuff, at that. And yet, when she plays music, it's very loose, swingin' and relaxed. I perceived a dichotomy there. But I've never met her, so my take is probably kind of flimsy here.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Karl,

No, but someone mentioned it on the internet and I checked some of the stuff on her page out. I was struck by how there wasn't anything music-related on her page and it was pretty much all politics. And kind of angry-sounding political stuff, at that. And yet, when she plays music, it's very loose, swingin' and relaxed. I perceived a dichotomy there. But I've never met her, so my take is probably kind of flimsy here.
I've read a comment on the net where someone said that her drumming and politics had a common thread of aggression. From what I've seen, her playing seems more lyrical than aggressive but I've only heard a tiny portion of her work.

Then again, I've known some very mellow metalheads - for them it's possibly a catharsis that allows them to remain mellow. I believe that our drumming is inevitably a reflection of our personalities, but not necessarily our public face or even our conscious selves. How far do we peel the onion?

Also, the other musicians and the song make a huge difference ... we are not the same person to everyone, eg. some people find themselves regressing when with their parents, falling into the same old dynamics. Same thing can happen when you get to play a song from 25 years ago ... you immediately tend towards your old approach, even when your style has changed.

We're very different people to our spouses, children, friends, workmates, strangers etc. So it comes down to "Which personality??". You could never analyse this scientifically because it would be impossible to establish reliable controls.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Yeah, don't get me wrong. I don't enjoy discussing politics, either. And it certainly won't stop me from listening to the music a person makes. But larry asked the question about whether personality comes through in how a musician played. I think a person's political views are part of their personality and I guess I'm saying a musician's playing can have nothing to do with their personality.

Yes, I agree. It doesn't matter.

I wasn't implying Hilary isn't a good person. I was thinking of people like Miles who apparently was abusive towards women, among other things. Yet I find his music positively beautiful. Again, I'm using examples to show that I believe musician's music and personality can be distinct.

Not at all. I probably wasn't clear enough about what I was trying to say.
I'm cool. I just wanted to present a fair representation. People can be however they want to be so long as no one's getting hurt. I'm sure there are many people who agree with her, as well as people who don't. To each his own, I guess.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Karl,

forgive me for injecting myself into your convo if it is meant to be an "A and B Conversation", but i had a thought that may (or may not) be relative.

i do not know who Hillary Jones is or what her politics are, but the thought occurred to me that perhaps her music is her solace. it is the place where everything is right - especially if it is her music. however it kills her, breaks her heart, sends daggers into her spine, makes her crazy (you get the idea) that the world is not like the groovy place that is her music. and she cannot sit idly by while there are those "others" espousing those "other views" (whatever they are, or who those "others" might be) and making her world a much worse place than she would like for it to be..

so she rails.

and then...there is her music : ) .

isn't that usually the case ? there's "Who I Am" and then there's "What I Have To Deal With And How It Effects Me".

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
forgive me for injecting myself into your convo if it is meant to be an "A and B Conversation", but i had a thought that may (or may not) be relative.

i do not know who Hillary Jones is or what her politics are, but the thought occurred to me that perhaps her music is her solace. it is the place where everything is right - especially if it is her music. however it kills her, breaks her heart, sends daggers into her spine, makes her crazy (you get the idea) that the world is not like the groovy place that is her music. and she cannot sit idly by while there are those "others" espousing those "other views" (whatever they are, or who those "others" might be) and making her world a much worse place than she would like for it to be..

so she rails.

isn't that usually the case ? there's "Who I Am" and then there's "What I Have To Deal With And How It Effects Me".
That's a cool way of looking at it too ;)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Uncle Ghee, love your work. Yes, so often music is a haven or catharsis rather than an expression of our overt personalities.

I've known and seen too many hopeless, using, unreliable, dishonest, flea-bitten, alcoholic, shambling, unorganised, scrounging, delusional no hopers play music like an angel to think otherwise :)

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Its a good thing to have your personality come through no matter what your playing. That's your mark, that's what makes us all different. I can copy a drum part but it always sounds like me playing it. Why would you want to sound exactly like another drummer anyway. You need to always sound like you. I think that's very important.

8Mile

Platinum Member

so she rails.

Great point and great way of looking at it. It's funny, because I never thought of it that way, but I probably should have, because in a lot of ways, it's true for me. I always talk about how music is an escape from the stress of the job and the mechanics of office politics. I bet a lot of people I work with would be surprised how differently I come across on the bandstand.

I think my initial point has been completely refuted by now. We all wear masks to play certain roles. Maybe the way to think of it is that our musical expression conveys a certain facet of our personalities. Maybe not the one everyone gets to see, but a very real and important one, nonetheless.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Uncle Ghee, love your work. Yes, so often music is a haven or catharsis rather than an expression of our overt personalities.

I've known and seen too many hopeless, using, unreliable, dishonest, flea-bitten, alcoholic, shambling, unorganised, scrounging, delusional no hopers play music like an angel to think otherwise :)
thanks Polisimo. the feeling is very mutual.

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
Great point and great way of looking at it. It's funny, because I never thought of it that way, but I probably should have, because in a lot of ways, it's true for me. I always talk about how music is an escape from the stress of the job and the mechanics of office politics. I bet a lot of people I work with would be surprised how differently I come across on the bandstand.

I think my initial point has been completely refuted by now. We all wear masks to play certain roles. Maybe the way to think of it is that our musical expression conveys a certain facet of our personalities. Maybe not the one everyone gets to see, but a very real and important one, nonetheless.
i know what you mean. Dad probably doesn't want to be remembered as a screaming maniac. he'd probably rather be fishing.

or something.

?uesto

Silver Member
Musicality and appropriation and reservation and maturity. I think these are heavy aspects of my personality and my playing.