To slosh or not to slosh?

HipshotPercussion

I was a big slosher in the '60s and '70s, but then I went on the wagon.

Actually, these days the only time I even play my hats is when I'm playing big band swing, and then usually for only the first and last chorus of certain old standards.

Maybe it's because I'm getting to be a pretty old standard myself.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Yeah Andy, I especially love the half time sloshed hats, really drives the pulse and gives the impression of really pounding the kit in an arena. Let the guitar players wear themselves out chucka-chucka-ing away.
Yes, let them take the fast 8's for a while eh! :) :) :0

Just a brief practice ditty. Not played it before, & not really my style either. I'm enjoying band practices on a 4 piece though ;)

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Yeah Andy, I especially love the half time sloshed hats, really drives the pulse and gives the impression of really pounding the kit in an arena. Let the guitar players wear themselves out chucka-chucka-ing away.

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
The hihat is the only instrument we have that we are able to control the length of the note . My as well use it all (play on the bell, click , sharp , slight slosh, heavy slosh, sizzle , you name it )

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Solid, Andy. Sloshed, or Un-.

Thanks Abe :) Remote access this week :(

Not my usual playing, & literally just a few minutes into trying the song, just to see if it works for us or not. We have a multi track tryout quite often.

Anyhow, my sloshing decision on this video clip is simply because I hadn't had time to think of anything better. I'm "winging it" :) (as usual)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I decided to slosh :)

We had a 15 minute/song suggestion practice on Monday. This week is was all about finding a few easy faster paced songs to alternate with at the end of our second set. We knock each suggestion around for 15 minutes to see if it's going to run or not, & I captured this sloshing :)

Note, Andy playing a 4 piece!!!! 10", 14", 20"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDObIZYK98&hd=1

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Al, didn't expect to see Rush playing Crossroads! No doubt about it, those guys can rock out.

Come on, don't be a sissy. Get at least 15s ;)

But you know what I would do.....
Yup, though you did retreat from the 17s. From what I've heard Istanbuls are dark and tasty so the 14s will probably sound like larger cymbals in most other brands ... that's the theory anyway.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I've always liked this song in many of its various versions floating around including the original Robert Johnson version. My uncle's blues band would play this one too, and I requested it all the time. Every time I sat in with them, we played Crossroads....anyway...

I like the sloshing quarter note hats in this version mainly because the keys are doing the staccato eighth notes pretty much throughout the whole song. This is a great version. Thanks for posting.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Thanks for posting this. 2 of my favorite musicians in there. Toss is such a phenominal player who plays with so much heart. He feels every note, and one of the most dynamic groovers I've ever heard, and generally speaking, a sloshy player.

Landau of course is from another planet.

Never saw this before.. thanks.

( Here is a Toss Panos solo, followed by the song kicking in at 3:00. Sloshy. groovy, dynamically sparkling! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hmb9XhWnt0 )

Thanks for that. I'm also a big Robben fan. Actually played together with him at a clinic and have played with a number of his sidemen up here in the Bay Area.

I love Toss's playing. The epitome of greasy sloshy playing. I've seen him a number of times with Robben and/or Larry and he sits back and grooves like everything. Nice to see him getting some on this video. But folks who have only seen him doing the Robben/Larry thing are usually stunned by the two Landau Baked Potato albums. They didn't know he could do that, and still retain that sloshy vibe while doing it. A friend of mine who's played with him says he's a real goofball as well (you see some of this on that Japan video) and great to be on a gig with. I don't think he goes quite as crazy as Jordan with the 17s, but I think he's usually playing pretty trashy 15s. And he's always working all around them. Hitting the sides and back and really getting them to slosh around.

x_25

Yup. For those styles you'll usually be looking for "chunky" more than "crisp". The punk guy has a fair bit of attitude, eh? It can be exciting for a song or two ... a headache by about halfway through the set.
I wouldn't say it was attitude, just didn't know better or thought it sounded cool. By the time we finished mixdown of the EP the other members of the band commented they were going to have a talk with him about that open hi-hat.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Always liked that clip, Henry. Steve Jordan's choices are killer. He brings structure and clarity.to everything he plays - IMO anyway.

I tend to keep my high hats a bit loose, but my band has a sound that ranges from alternative to punk to 60ish garage rock, so a bit loose is perfect.

That said, just don't be like the drummer for the punk band I recorded and all will be fine. He played fully open high hats for every song through the whole EP.
Yup. For those styles you'll usually be looking for "chunky" more than "crisp". The punk guy has a fair bit of attitude, eh? It can be exciting for a song or two ... a headache by about halfway through the set.

x_25

Slosh or not slosh, it will depend. I think it sounds good in the video. I tend to keep my high hats a bit loose, but my band has a sound that ranges from alternative to punk to 60ish garage rock, so a bit loose is perfect.

That said, just don't be like the drummer for the punk band I recorded and all will be fine. He played fully open high hats for every song through the whole EP.

aydee

Platinum Member
Thanks for posting this. 2 of my favorite musicians in there. Toss is such a phenominal player who plays with so much heart. He feels every note, and one of the most dynamic groovers I've ever heard, and generally speaking, a sloshy player.

Landau of course is from another planet.

Never saw this before.. thanks.

( Here is a Toss Panos solo, followed by the song kicking in at 3:00. Sloshy. groovy, dynamically sparkling! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hmb9XhWnt0 )

Last edited: