Time signatures of other cultures

V

vorsybl

Hi, I want to get good at drumset, the best in fact. I read about the drummer from the police having influences of lebanese percussion foundations. I remember reading somewhere that Indian percussion has time signatures of 5 and subdivisions of five. Are there any resources you can give me to study these disparate rhthms of other cultures? Thanks

A guitarist recently said I was too busy as a drummer, I suck and want to get good

uniin

Gold Member
Too busy generally means you're doing too much. what a guitarist wants you to do is just play straight. i wouldn't advise tackling odd time signatures but you should tackle 4 way co-ordination. good books that every drummer should have include: syncopation for the modern drummer, and stick control.

if you want to get a lot of gigs, you should practice to a metronome and focus on your beats being exactly perfect. im talking within 4milliseconds of the click perfect.

V

vorsybl

why wouldn't you advise odd time signatures, are you saying i'm not good enough?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If you want to be a great drummer, learn the odd time signatures, if you want to get hired, simplify your playing is what uniin saying. A great drummer knows what the other musicians need and freely gives it to them. No one is attacking your drumming abilities.

V

vorsybl

I want to be both, I hope those aren't juvenile aspirations, but I feel with enough practice it can be achieved.

I've started to play with a metronome almost ubiquitously now.

I just feel like he tells me I need to be less busy but when I started playing drums playing Justin Bieber beats people would tell me it was too repetitive and needed to be be less like that.

Zeus Mutation

You lay the foundation for the guitarist to play over so keeping a simple beat clean & tight is perfect, don't throw in fills and such just because you can.

It might seam boring if your just doing a rock beat 1/4 (1234) or 1/8 (1+2+3+4+) but its truly more than you might imagine... also, you can do suttle things like open & close your hats, maybe a small fill (think Reggae) and back into the beat

Less truly is more often times... if your guitarist asks you to keep the basic beat, do it.