Time signature, beat style recommendation

manther

It's a relatively quick 4. Complicating matters, the time on the track is far from even... It's a rather organic recording, and you're not going to be able to line it up to any kind of grid or click.

Listen for where the music repeats on the 1, and count based off that, you should be able to pick up the feel you'd have to play that in.

Personally, I'm hearing a pretty basic beat with sloshy high hats on the quarter notes.
Yeah, you're right, measuring the time across the whole song, it fluctuates. I've now played to it a bunch since I originally asked, and I'm getting several grooves to work with it now. Including several straight 4/4 grooves, and a shuffle. As someone was saying earlier, I'm just focusing on the banjo guy/gal. I'm sure in person getting in time with them will be much easier. Also in person I'd be able to hear the bass player much better. Thanks a ton for all the replies!

Last edited:

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
It's a relatively quick 4. Complicating matters, the time on the track is far from even... It's a rather organic recording, and you're not going to be able to line it up to any kind of grid or click.

Listen for where the music repeats on the 1, and count based off that, you should be able to pick up the feel you'd have to play that in.

Personally, I'm hearing a pretty basic beat with sloshy high hats on the quarter notes.

WalterKohn

I never heard of 1/2 time, (not half time) but what you describe above, I would call 2/4 time.

The chord progression sounds a lot like "Wagon Wheel".

There's no drums that I can hear. A number of different beats could fit there, from a shuffle, to a half time shuffle, to straight time, to a 2/4 time sig.
Yea I meant 2/4 time Larry. Not sure why I wrote 1/2 lol... It was early when I posted that originally. 1/2 would mean 1 half note per bar lol.. That wouldn't sound right..

I agree with the chord progression sounding like "Wagon Wheel". Also that drum beat would suffice for the song as well OP.

tcspears

Gold Member
I think maybe he was referring to cut time rather half time?
Cut time (alla breve) for 4/4 would be 2/2, half-time would be 8/8

1/2 would be an unusual time signature, and isn't very common in pop music like the OP's example. Copland's Appalachian Spring sticks out to me as using a few measures of 1/2.

bsfloyd

I never heard of 1/2 time, (not half time) but what you describe above, I would call 2/4 time.

There's no drums that I can hear. A number of different beats could fit there, from a shuffle, to a half time shuffle, to straight time, to a 2/4 time sig.
I think maybe he was referring to cut time rather half time?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sound to me that it is in 1/2, which can be phrased in 4/4.

If you play in 4/4 put the bass drum on 1 and the snare on all of the +'s while playing quarter notes on the hit hats.

tcspears

Gold Member
It's definitely in 4/4, and the 8th notes are swung. It wouldn't say that there is any indication that it's in half time.

Also, because half time is a confusing concept. 4/4 in half time becomes 8/8. Alla Breve is where 4/4 gets cut to 2/2.

Personally, I think a shuffle beat might move it along too much and come across as busy, so you could always try a jump swing sort of beat.

Try it rockabilly style, playing the ride pattern on the snare rim. BD on 1 and 3, Snare on 2 and 4. You could also try just playing quarters on the ride or the rim in parts

manther

If you play in 4/4 put the bass drum on 1 and the snare on all of the +'s while playing quarter notes on the hit hats.

If you play in 1/2 just play hi hats and bass drum on 1 and only the snare on 2.
me too. Just listen to the banjo(?).
Thanks for the feedback folks. I landed in a ghosted half time shuffle that feels right. Much obliged.

WalterKohn

If you play in 1/2 just play hi hats and bass drum on 1 and only the snare on 2.

manther

Sorry for such a newb-like question. But here goes.

What time signature would you say this song is in? I think it's in 4/4, but not totally sure.

Also what type of beat in your opinion would go along well with it? Train beat, shuffle, swung rock beat, just a straight rock beat etc.

I dropped it into garage band out of curiosity. I could not get 4/4 at any reasonable tempo to fit, nor 12/8 (In case it was a triplet feel). Maybe the tempo just varies a lot.

They got that washboard player in there helping to keep time, but it sounds like he's mainly echo'ing the guitar players strumming (aside from fills).

Basically they need a drummer, and I live about 15 miles from them. I'm thinking about sitting in on a practice, but before I go, I tried a couple play alongs, and every beat I tried to this song I wasn't very happy with. I can play various rock beats to it, but they sound wrong.

Do you think they are just not playing in time and it's messing with me? Also I'd say my chops at playing heavily swung beats still have a long way to go, so it very well could just be me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKUTOkfssYg