Tiki Cocktail set

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Here is a photo of me playing the Tiki Set a couple of weeks ago. I was playing with a keyboardist and a violinist and I'd move to the congas for some songs.

Screenshot_7.jpg

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
I was watching your right hand and it appears that the stick is not up in the crotch of your thumb and forefinger like it's really loose. Am I seeing correctly.?

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Nice video DMC. What kind of camera did you use? Great picture quality. Are you a lefty, or did you just configure the cocktail kit that way?
Thank you about that. I am just getting into videoing.

I used a Kodak Play/Touch. It has a very good built-in mic but I used a Shure Beta 52 kick drum mic at the bottom and a Shure SM57 mic on the top, run through a Mackie 1202 mixer and then into the mic jack of the camera.

I play open, left hand hats and ride, right hand snare, so I set up the cocktail kit that way. A crossed player could put their hats on their right, near their ride, and play open as well. There is no hihat stand, just a bass drum pedal and you switch feet to play it to reduce fatigue, so there is no practical purpose in crossing the hands/sticks to play hats in a cocktail set.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
I tell you, there is nothing like it. Playing standing up is a kick in the pants. Get a cocktail set and see for yourself. The portability and cool factor cannot be beat.
I know, I've messed around for a bit on one before! They're quite possibly the coolest thing since sliced bread, haha.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Tiki kit is interesting and sounds great. I am checking out your Terra Sonus tracks. Totally digging it. Very interesting sound scapes. Keep it up.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Nice video DMC. What kind of camera did you use? Great picture quality. Are you a lefty, or did you just configure the cocktail kit that way?
Thank you. I used a Kodak Play Touch video camera in HD setting and did a bit of editing with PowerDirector. I think I am going to start putting up more videos now that I have some decent gear for it.

Garvin

Pioneer Member

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Cool set, I love the tiki-retro motif. You did a great job with the wrap!
Thanks! It was tricky, especially for the first time. I think if I had to do it over again, I would have aligned the vertical brown stripe with the rod holders. Instead of the rod holders being in the middle of tiki faces, they would wind up in the spaces between the faces. I think I still might do that by realigning the tom holders.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Cool kit there! And they're in Huntington Beach right near me! And the price is right. Too bad they make the bass drum so tall, it's too tall for guys my size (hence why I went with the Safari). Any videos of you playing it?
Bo, I'm just had to try pretty hard to lay off the short jokes in another thread where you mentioned "shortstack" toms. You're not making this easy on me.

Sweet kit DMC! I think it would only be appropriate to play it while wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a big goofy grin. That's one of those machines you could never be bored whilst playing.

I've been pondering getting a cocktail kit or a bop set for smaller gigs. As of now I'm leaning on a bop kit but this post has me rethinking it. I love that laid back island vibe you have going there.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Yes, they are actually pretty uncomfortable to play. You have to shift your weight from one foot to the other. The "floor tom" is at the center of the set and the snare way off to one side, so it takes a lot of re-learning and adjustment. You can't play bass with one foot for very long or you get a serious burn in the front calf muscles. I don't know how sitting makes such a big difference but it does. On the plus side, I can carry the entire set in one trip very easily.

Because you have to shift feet to guard against fatigue, I play bass with my left foot about 30 percent of the time, so it's training my left foot in different ways.
I've seen guys use a bar stool or even lean against a wall...maybe that'd help?