Tight Cymbals and odd setups...

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I picked up a cheap B8 Pro Ozone thing the other day for fun and stuck an extra stand up with it at last weekend's gig. This may be one to cinch down a bit but the Gibraltar clamp on stand I grabbed with it has a bad thread and wouldn't tighten down all the way and the cymbal swung all over the place. Trying to do china like rides on it was tough. Plus, it could use a bit less sustain. I sat in on a kit with a good one once and it was really quick.

vfujidrums

I like using my cymbals very low. To me, the fact that they are closer, helps me to move easier/faster in the drums. And when they are low you kinda need to position they flat to be able to hit the border of the cymbal.

And about the tightness, I learn that they can break easier if the wingnuts are too tight... It's music man! They need to dance!

Cheers.
- vfujidrums

lowdowner

When I started, about 18 months ago, I set up my drums to look the same as I saw online when I checked out drum kit manufacturer's sites and other pictures of drummers. Quite high (or it seems to me now) and angled.

But, my teacher plays in a metal band and has all of his cymbals completely flat and very low. I've seen him play live a few times, and some of the bands of his friends. They're all young (early 20's) in metal or thrash bands, and all play with low flat cymbals.

In drum magazines now the new bands, and British rock/metal/thrash in particular all seem to follow this setup.

Over the last 18 months my cymbals and toms have got lower and flatter - just shows how influential a teacher is!

Mikecore

Silver Member
I keep my cymbals pretty tight, but a lot of that has to do with the setup and the way I use them. Since it's a Bozzio-style Radia setup, it's really designed for lower volume melodic playing and not so much for "digging in". On a more traditional setup, I keep them flattish and pretty loose, sort of like Neil Peart does. I did that in high school and never had any problems, even though some of them were quite high in the setup. As was mentioned earlier, keeping them flat and loose seems to make them "wobble" in a circle, which I imagine absorbs the stick impact a bit better.

Other cymbals don't really change from one kind of setup to another; my hats are usually tight, but my ride is almost always loose. Bells and effects tend to be tight since their thickness keeps the tone from being affected, and you don't have to hit them very hard to get full volume out of them.

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
All my cymbals are fairly loose, only my ride is completely free. I just find it easier to hit the bell, really. Flat cymbals are uncomfortable to me. They do make setting up super easy, tho.

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
I used to just about sit on the floor when younger. I began to sit higher as I noticed it was a lot easier on my legs and feet and it increased ability there for me.

Flat drums are just too far away for me. Flat cymbals ... any time I tried it I always end up quickly chewing through or breaking sticks.

But I have to say, when I see Chris Coleman whipping around, all his instruments set pretty low and flat, I begin to wonder that the efficiency of movement must be increased.