Thoughts on Sonor AQ2 Stage 6 pc

om98

Hi All, new to the forum here and thought i would put out a question for you all. I currently have a second hand Gretsch Cataline Maple 6pc. Worn out a bit and time for an upgrade. I very briefly played a new Sonor AQ2 Stage kit 6 pc recently and quite liked it, however I'm at a cross roads whether i buy it or not. Anyone had experience with or own one of these kits that could give some thoughts and feedback on it? I will be mainly playing freestyle at home and occasional gigs (few times a year), like playing freestyle funk/blues/soul style. The price point is not a problem, just whether this is the right kit or if there's a different brand in this price range which would be more suited to me that i haven't come across yet.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Row

I have an AQ2 in bop sizes and I use it for gigging. The build quality is really great, no flaws in shell or finish, tunes up easy and sounds great. But you need to upgrade all the heads, both batter and reso (even bass drum) to get the best sound out of these drums.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Great kits the AQ2. Great build. High quality. I had bop size, too. I changed batters to Remo Amb. Reso I left alone. Band liked the sound a lot.

om98

Thanks guys. @Row did they sound OK even with standard heads on? @Rattlin Bones the advertised kit comes with Remo UT series heads, coated Ambassador on batter side, and uncoated Ambassador's on the batter side, did yours come like that or with different heads?

Also how did you find the bass drum - guessing the bop kit could be a different size to the stage kit but i found it quite hollow/boomy sounding - no doubt will need to put some muffling in there.

IBitePrettyHard

I haven't really heard anything negative about AQ2s, but if it's in your price range I would seriously consider a Gretsch Renown.....even if you only get a 4 piece shell pack for the same price. It's pretty much the most recommended mid-ranged kit on this forum. For good reason!

Row

Thanks guys. @Row did they sound OK even with standard heads on? @Rattlin Bones the advertised kit comes with Remo UT series heads, coated Ambassador on batter side, and uncoated Ambassador's on the batter side, did yours come like that or with different heads?

Also how did you find the bass drum - guessing the bop kit could be a different size to the stage kit but i found it quite hollow/boomy sounding - no doubt will need to put some muffling in there.
They sound ok, they just feel dull.

Head changes in order of priority would be:
* snare reso - the stock head had no snare response at all at lower dynamics.
* snare batter
* bass drum batter - really made it come alive.
* tom batters
* bass drum reso / tom reso. (optional as above)

I don't muffle the BD at all, sounds big and low enough. And yes UT heads

Artstar

Platinum Member
Awesome drums and they are still pretty rare..... the build is very nice and you won't see them all over the place.

They look very unique IMO.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
The Bop kick was a 14" kick !!!!