Thoughts on a band

drummingman

Gold Member
So I've been looking for an original metal band for awhile now. Last night I went and checked out a band that is looking for a drummer. To be honest I wasn't a big fan of their music. But once they get a drummer they're ready to gig.

I'm wondering if I should join the band even though I don't really dig their music just to get out there to play shows? As is I'm not playing with any bands right now or gigging.

They're cool with me playing in other bands while still in their band. So I'm thinking I should start playing with them while looking for another band to play with that is more my liking. That's not to say I would ditch the current band when I find a better one (I could still play with them on the side).

Thoughts?

Masheanhed

You may find you really like playing in this band if you join. If you do find another band and also decide to stay with these guys, you will have to decide, out of fairness to each band, who gets put first. I wouldn't expect these guys to like being second place if you decide the new band is more to your liking. I've been in that position before where we've had someone who played in another band, and began to put their practices and gigs before ours.

poika

Silver Member
I'd say you would be better off asking them that question...

I know if I was looking for people to play in a band that is playing my music I definitely wouldn't want anyone to audition if they felt the way you did about the music I've made.

If they were honest about it and I were in a desperate need to get some one to play some shows, and we would both agree on it being only a temporary solution, then maybe it would be possible to get it to work. For a while.

I think playing original compositions with anyone means you're opening yourself to them and vice versa. Being honest is the key. Always.

Pamelaette

I'm with Poika and Masheanhed. And if you're not crazy about their music now, how do you see that changing behind the set?

Good luck in your decision..

Sparkboss

Or just tell them straight up that you'd be willing to stand in as a drummer for them now. But they should keep searching for a new drummer just as you'll search for a new band.

It would be a good way to get even more experience gigging while searching. Tell them that you're in it just to assist them and gain experience, then when you decide to leave they can't be shocked since you never gave the impression that you were a keeper.

B-squared

Silver Member
Or just tell them straight up that you'd be willing to stand in as a drummer for them now. But they should keep searching for a new drummer just as you'll search for a new band.

It would be a good way to get even more experience gigging while searching. Tell them that you're in it just to assist them and gain experience, then when you decide to leave they can't be shocked since you never gave the impression that you were a keeper.
I was in a similar situation and this was my approach. I actually had another band in hand, in contrast to you looking for another. I just have the philosophy that if it isn't a good fit, it just isn't.

drummingman

Gold Member

I think this is a good approach as well. I just worry they may be offended if I tell them I'm not into what they're doing stylistically. Sometimes people aren't very mature about such things.

I think this is a good approach as well. I just worry they may be offended if I tell them I'm not into what they're doing stylistically. Sometimes people aren't very mature about such things.
I'd say you don't need to be too specific about why you are keeping your options open. But still it's best to be up front with them about the fact that you are still looking for your ideal situation. And at the same time, they can keep looking for their ideal drummer. In the interim, you are both moving toward your goals. Maybe you'll be the catylyst that moves them to that next level. Ultimately, though,you never lose by being honest.

I play in 4 different bands. Not one of them would I ever just casually listen to their stuff. Probably still wouldn't even if I wasn't involved in the band. Just not my real cup of tea. But I just love playing music. Pays bills too. That helps...

You should hit it up. Experience is experience. It comes in all shapes and sizes.

Sparkboss

You don't exactly have to say that their music isn't exactly what you want. just tell them that you're going for a different "mix of sounds" or something. I think as long as you play on words and say it a certain way, you can sound very un-biased on the topic :). Or, if you want to go the dishonest route to spare their feelings, just say that your friend is piecing together a band, but you're "unsure" of how long it will take him to put it together. Then once you find a band you like better, let them know that your "friend" has gotten the band together, and needs your attendance :)

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I agree with Badger above. Experience is experience. When I was first getting into bands, the only one I could find was a country band,and I was a rocker and didn't like country at all.

We ended up playing just about every weekend in bars for the next 10 years, and yes, I'm a country fan now too. Any experience playing with bands is worth it's weight in Gold, The networking is important too. No band lasts forever, and every band I've been in since, was because of someone I was in a previous band with. It gets your name out there.

poika

Silver Member
Experience is very important and playing shows can be a lot of fun.
The main issue I think is still being honest with your intentions. You don't have to tell them you don't like the music too much but it is wise to make sure that you are all on the same page about possible future plans.

evolving_machine

Silver Member
I play in 4 different bands. Not one of them would I ever just casually listen to their stuff. Probably still wouldn't even if I wasn't involved in the band. Just not my real cup of tea. But I just love playing music. Pays bills too. That helps...

You should hit it up. Experience is experience. It comes in all shapes and sizes.
[FONT=&quot]I do not play professionally; I work in a completely different field. When I am playing it keeps my mind from my work and that alone brings me joy. But, when you add the joy of playing on top of not having the work worries, playing music brings me to a new level of joy.

So, I have played over the years many things I would not listen to if I did not play on the recording. The worst part about it is trying to sort out in my musical resume what to show other musicians.

Many times I display my playing with the preamble “I do not like the music on this recording but…..” [/FONT]

SquadLeader

Gold Member
So I'm thinking I should start playing with them while looking for another band to play with that is more my liking. That's not to say I would ditch the current band when I find a better one (I could still play with them on the side).

Thoughts?
Personally, with absolutely no disrespect intended to you, I think that would be really disrespectful.
You would be using them...which I don't consider to be a particularly pleasant trait
But that could just be me who is old fashioned and out of touch

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Part of me says go get the experience, you may develop a different attitude about their music, and another part of me says to only play music that you really want to. I'd say if you are a young man with not a lot of bands under you belt...I'd go for it. If on the other hand you've been around the block a few times, I'd say hold out for a band that you can really sink your teeth into.

My first pro band...was a really great Southern Rock band, this was in the early 80's, I loved their music. I knew the drummer was leaving. I hitch hiked to all their shows, and when the drummer left, I slid right in without even a rehearsal. About 2 months before I got in, the movie "Urban Cowboy" came out, and that sparked a Country Music craze. Well as soon as I joined the band, coincidentally, our agent up and got all these Country gigs, and we had to change our format to fit the new craze. Now I knew zero about Country Music then, I wasn't particularly fond of it, but I did it anyway.

I'm really glad I did. I learned things from that band that has served me well throughout the years.

I suggest going for it, but I'd say do it all the way, or not at all. They deserve that.

AZslim

So I've been looking for an original metal band for awhile now. Last night I went and checked out a band that is looking for a drummer. To be honest I wasn't a big fan of their music. But once they get a drummer they're ready to gig.

I'm wondering if I should join the band even though I don't really dig their music just to get out there to play shows? As is I'm not playing with any bands right now or gigging.

They're cool with me playing in other bands while still in their band. So I'm thinking I should start playing with them while looking for another band to play with that is more my liking. That's not to say I would ditch the current band when I find a better one (I could still play with them on the side).

Thoughts?
I would wait until you find a better fit.You will leave the band fairly soon. Having to leave a band could result in bad feelings. Music is a small community and and bad rep can really hurt.

drummingman

Gold Member
I contacted the bass player tonight (he is my main point of contact in the band). I told him that stylistically I'm looking for something different, but I'm willing to fill in on drums till they can find a permanent member. He said that the other members just want to wait for that permanent member now and not have a fill in (they are rehearsing with a drum machine as is).

He was super cool about it. I even asked if he would be willing to play in another band with me, as good bass players around here are hard to find. He said yes. So I've made a good contact.

I've been playing for a long time and played in a number of situations. I'm looking for a band thats really gonna be what I want so I can commit 100% to it. Thats just really hard to find. I'm willing to play in a non-perfect situation, I at least want to like the music enough to where I can be proud of it.

Sparkboss

I contacted the bass player tonight (he is my main point of contact in the band). I told him that stylistically I'm looking for something different, but I'm willing to fill in on drums till they can find a permanent member. He said that the other members just want to wait for that permanent member now and not have a fill in (they are rehearsing with a drum machine as is).

He was super cool about it. I even asked if he would be willing to play in another band with me, as good bass players around here are hard to find. He said yes. So I've made a good contact.

I've been playing for a long time and played in a number of situations. I'm looking for a band thats really gonna be what I want so I can commit 100% to it. Thats just really hard to find. I'm willing to play in a non-perfect situation, I at least want to like the music enough to where I can be proud of it.
Good result! then later you can make HIM play YOUR style! heheh

Masheanhed

I just worry they may be offended if I tell them I'm not into what they're doing stylistically. Sometimes people aren't very mature about such things.
You couldn't expect them to be very excited if someone came to them and said (in a nutshell) "Hey I don't like your music but I just want to use you to get some playing experience". Their response was what I would have expected from them: wait until they find someone that is less likely to jump ship in six months and have to start all over. That's time they have invested and don't want to see wasted.

But I understand your situation. Finding that band that plays the style you like is hard sometimes.