This will sound, a little weird.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Some of you know I've just completed a Zeppelin-like kit and I'm totally loving it. My 9x13 rack tom was having a hard time fully resonating while sitting in the snare basket, and for some reason I was convinced I could do nothing to it. On Andy's recommendation I found a Gauger FlexFrame and bought it (don't have it yet), hoping it will help with the resonance of the tom in a snare basket.

The other issue was the fact that the existing snare stand I was using couldn't raise the tom high enough, so today I pulled out a Pearl S900 snare stand, and put the rack tom in it. I took some time to re-tension some spots and then held the drum up with one hand and struck it so I would know what it would sound like fully resonating. When I put back on the snare stand, it was resonating the same way! I couldn't believe my ears. I don't lock the basket on the drum, and the drum isn't resting on the tips of the basket.

So I was flummoxed. I'm still flummoxed. The drum is now behaving. Should I receive the FlexFrame when it arrives or just refuse the shipment? Obviously, it's $60 I don't need to spend now, but something makes me feel like sooner or later that tom may choke in the snare stand, but so far so good. What would you do? This was weird.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I'm sure the Flex-Frame will come in handy. You never know. It's a cool tool to have around in case you need it. The thing that crossed my mind about this Flex-Frame is maybe it would help a snare drum too. Like when you play it with the snares off. Just a thought.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Should I receive the FlexFrame when it arrives or just refuse the shipment? Obviously, it's $60 I don't need to spend now, but something makes me feel like sooner or later that tom may choke in the snare stand, but so far so good. What would you do? This was weird.
Bo if you bought it, I think you should buy it.

Toolate

Platinum Member
What changed other than the tuning? Would love to know. Learned to put a thinner reso on this tom to help a little too.

john gerrard

Bo, I know it has been discussed on here many times about mounting toms in snare baskets. I have never liked the idea. I have got the same results as you. But maybe there is a big difference in stand design. It could be why this has worked for some drummers, while some of us have noticed how it kills the tone on our drums. I say keep the new stand and give it a try. It may even better than what you are using now. Please keep us informed. John

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Bo, I know it has been discussed on here many times about mounting toms in snare baskets. I have never liked the idea. I have got the same results as you. But maybe there is a big difference in stand design. It could be why this has worked for some drummers, while some of us have noticed how it kills the tone on our drums. I say keep the new stand and give it a try. It may even better than what you are using now. Please keep us informed. John
No, it's a Flex-Frame system. Pretty cool device. You'll have to see the link on his other thread in the Your Playing section. I would provide it for you but I'm too lazy.

blastbeatkeeper

Have you compared the 2 baskets head to head? Now that the tom is exactly where you like it, Id do an A and B comparison, and see if the tom still holds its sound in the original basket, and then go from there. But, thats just me.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Check the tips on the two snare baskets.
If one is RUBBER, and the other is plastic, that's your answer.
The plastic type will choke a tom every time.

I have a couple DW snare stands (same model), and the one with the plastic tips lessens the tom resonance a lot. The RUBBER tipped stand is just fine.
I put some rubber pieces on the other stand and it brought back the resonance on the tom.

I got one of those product emails (NSMD, MD) for something called Booty Shakers. The small version goes on the snare basket tips, and are some form of rubber that attaches with velcro--actually they look pretty cool.
Those are $12.99 (not $60.....).

http://www.tnrproducts.com/site/

My Ludwig Atlas snare stands don't impeded the tom resonance AT ALL, and neither do the Pearl stands I have with the suspension grips, or the bigger one (2000) with that adjustable basket.
Gibraltars stands have a raised bump on the basket tips center, and those hold well and don't choke the drum either.

Good luck!

Bonzobilly

I echo Karl here. I had problems with a rack Tom in a snare stand. I got an Atlas snare stand and bam! All the resonance returned. The other two stands had plastic tips. Atlas is rubber. The tips on the Atlas stand also tapers to a point where it makes contact with the drum further reducing contact area. Without trying to sound to fanboy, that atlas stuff is truly awesome.

Bull

Gold Member
Yep,choking is different ,stand to stand. My 11x14 sounds terrible on my Yamaha stand and a cheaper no-name that I had laying around .It sounds fine on Ludwig and Pearl stands.

Pearl make great snare stands.

Nickropolis

KarlCrafton/Bonzobilly: I think you guys just sold me on the Atlas snare stand.

I've had problems using certain mounts and snare stands and could never figure out what the freakin' deal was in terms of the tom sounding like complete ass. Obviously it was choking but I couldn't narrow down why...I tried moving the tom up and down on the L-rod, moving the cymbal stand to a different part of the floor, changing to a snare stand, tight/loose snare basket, different angles, tuning, heads, all that jazz...

As for the floor tom, I cut strips off of a yoga mat and folded them until it made a square about 1.5 inches thick, taped it off and stuck those under the legs. I'm sure the foamy feet work just as well or better and look more professional, just a ghetto solution if you don't want to spend the 15 bucks.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Karl is correct! I did a test this morning and its the tips. My Pearl S900 has nice rubber tips and the other is a PDP with plastic and the drum definitely doesn't behave with plastic. The only anomaly which made me think there's nothing wrong is that when I put my Starclassic 8x12 in that basket, that drum resonates just fine. The old Ludwig won't. So long as I use the Pearl, the Ludwig sounds great. Thanks for the advice! Problem solved.

I may want to get the Atlas stands to appear all Ludwig now......

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Glad it worked Bo!

KarlCrafton/Bonzobilly: I think you guys just sold me on the Atlas snare stand.

As for the floor tom, I cut strips off of a yoga mat and folded them until it made a square about 1.5 inches thick, taped it off and stuck those under the legs. I'm sure the foamy feet work just as well or better and look more professional, just a ghetto solution if you don't want to spend the 15 bucks.
Pearl suspension feet are on all my floor tom legs. Cheaper, and easier to deal with than the Booty Shaker ft leg thingys.
It was a few bucks for 14 floor toms, but I'll admit not everyone is insane over floor toms like I am... :p

One thing to be aware of, the Atlas PRO snare stand has the usual, gearless, universal, omni angle adjustable basket.
The Classic Flat Base stand only has front and back (or side to side) gearless adjustment.
The legs will fit under the drum to get it in close if you like the stand close to the bass drum, and it's no problem for adjusting the angle if it is turned the other way, with the base and tube farther away from the drum.

I just mention this because I initially thought the Flat Base stand was an omni angle adjustable basket. It kinda seemed like a gyp, because of how I use these FBs that it's not an omni angle adjustment. I just thought, they went to the trouble to re-design all this stuff, and it's only got front and back adjustment?..... Other stands have the same thing too, and it's a classic, compact type stand line, that breaks down small, and it's light (but sturdy), so I'm just nit picking.

One thing really cool about this FB snare stand though, is that it CAN go perfectly flat. The DW FB's stands I have can't. I don't always use the tom flat, but sometimes I like the feel of the tom flat for certain things I play.

Enough blabbing....

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Yep, same experience here! I've used a few different snare stands and they all made the drum sound different. The one I use now is a Yamaha 700 series and not only is it light, but the rack tom rings out very nicely!

HMNY

Silver Member
I think I recall reading somewhere on the DW forum that you can replace the plastic basket tips with surgical tubing, and that improves the sound....

Nickropolis

Heh, funny story incoming...

I just went to the local mom and pop music store to order a Ludwig Classic snare stand.

Apparently Long & McQuade has a deal with Ludwig that they're the only store in the province (and most likely the country) that is allowed to sell Ludwig products.

It's pretty apparent now why there essentially aren't any other stores besides L&M in Nova Scotia to buy music gear.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
There are others in Canada. Steve's in Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto carry Ludwig as does Dave's Drum Shop in Ottawa but only recently. There might be more.
We don't have L&M here in Quebec (yet). Don't know if that's good or bad.