This Software blows every drum machine ever out of the water ...

BassDriver

Silver Member
This stuff can't replicate the "soul" and the "swing" and intricate nuances that make jazz the kind of music it is.

Seriously this stuff is scary, but human musicians will beat it.

...I think it is in human responsibility to program things with safe morals in mind, purposefully leaving a fault in the machine so that humans can beat it if they exploit the weakness...

...otherwise...BURN THIS HERETIC MACHINE!

chris4355

you guys are all over reacting. theres no way a machine can create something completely new, a new form of art, a new style of music.

all these programs are simply based off of patterns and ideas from previous compositions.
you need the human touch, it cant just be randomness. its like watching those screen savers when your computer goes on idle, sure its pretty to look at, all those different colors and shapes generated by your computer and displayed by a graphics card, but it doesnt take too long for it to get boring.

i dno, im not worried.

i would be more worried about the lack of creativity in the music industry nowadays, and the fact that a large majority of people listen to complete crap.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Who knows how it will pan out? On the face of it, it at least looks like a useful tool. I suspect that in the end there will be a niche in the scene filled by machines. Humans will always be in demand - how much is the question.

The other question is, does it matter? I don't care how a song is composed; if it's good, it's good. If computer music starts replacing Top of the Pops or normal sequencing in dance clubs - which is the obvious first stop - I doubt too many will be able to tell the difference.

BassDriver

Silver Member
It is essentially a program that programs sequencers that refer to a sound card that refer to speakers.

Stale unorganic sound.

Human touch is that distinctive sound, I would like to see this computer replicate what John Coltrane was feeling when he solo-ed in Love Supreme.

Imagine this thing replicating the differing swings of Elvin, Papa Jo, Williams or Purdie.

A human will always sound human, even if he/she has the metronomic precision of Gadd or Rudd.

A machine will sound crap if it tries to replicate human rhythmic nuances.

...and anyway, if this program is random, how do you know you will get music that you want?

I also see it as a writing/production tool (like Sibelius is for composing or like Fruity Loops for sequencing) and not a performance tool, it would be great if say for example a solo musician wanted an automatic accompaniment for a recording (accompaniment isn't front stage so the non-human factor when not live won't matter so much), but will still have session musicians for live performance.

Let's just hope this program isn't abused.

TheGroceryman

Silver Member
Hmmm...after listening to those samples a second time, I've noticed the pieces aren't really that exquisite... I mean, they're pretty simple pieces. All they are are variations on a theme, nothing remotely close to the variety of beethoven or mozart. If all this computer can do is think up variations on a theme, and not go anywhere with its music, I say humans are a lot better...