thinking of strange sizes for sq2.....

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an SQ2 in American Walnut high gloss finish with chrome or black hardware. This would be a Jazz kit. The shells would be Beech. Medium maybe. And set up with Byzance Jazz cymbals and a Speed Cobra double pedal.

But the sizes I'm thinking are:

10x8, or 10x9 tt
15x13 ft
16x14 ft
22x16 bd
13x7 snare

I've played my S Classix kit with 10 and 16 set up. I'm thinking the 15 might work too, but it would give me more balls than a 14. Plus I saw gavin harrison in a clinic and I know he uses 15 and 16 floor toms and they sounded great! But would it work going from just a 10 to 15 and 16?

Anyone tried it? Anyone have thoughts on it?

Cheers

SonorPlayer

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
This sounds like a neat setup. Personally I would go with 14 and 16 ft as I think 15 and 16 are too close together and 10 and 15 are too far apart. I have a 10 tt and 14 ft and the spacing is just right for good contrast. If I got another ft I would want a 16.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
This sounds like a neat setup. Personally I would go with 14 and 16 ft as I think 15 and 16 are too close together and 10 and 15 are too far apart. I have a 10 tt and 14 ft and the spacing is just right for good contrast. If I got another ft I would want a 16.
I completely agree with DMC's thoughts on this, but I would just throw an additional consideration into the mix. Walnut offers a lower fundamental tone than most wood species. Especially when tuned as a jazz kit, the difference between the pitch of a 10" & 15" drum will be very big indeed. My gut feeling is, the 10" will tune up nicely to it's sweet spot, but the 15" will always deliver a low fundamental, almost no matter how highly tuned it is. That's great, unless you're trying to lessen the gap between the tones of the two drums.

AtomicFlapjack

Maybe, but I wouldn't want to buy one purely because it will be hard to find heads for it. I know they exist, but I think it's only a few models, and your local shop probably don't stock them.
True, but if you already have an idea of what heads you like ordering them online would be okay I guess?