Thinking of starting a music venue?

TNA

Although in the UK and not Phoenix USA, we had a similar type bar start up here last year and its become extremely popular.
What I do notice is how they cater for all genres. They have acoustic evenings, Rock, Metal & DJ ones which gives all the kids there own particular genre night to get together. Its alcohol free but the bar tenders make it as adult as possible by mixing up show cocktails for the girls and having draught alcohol free beer in man sized vessels for the boys.

One thing that has had the community rally behind the idea was the venue having the local police involved. Anyone picking up their teens late at night see a comforting police presence not only directly outside the venue but also a street away in either direction. I once parked a street away to pick up our 16 year old daughter and was asked by the police what my intentions were, which I took as quite comforting for me as a parent.

Having genre nights could be a way of spreading your bets and then dwindling the whole range down to your most profitable nights but whatever you choose to do you have my wishes.
That sounds like exactly what I was thinking. An entertainment place that could really cater to a younger crowd. If you can could you tell me more about the place, like the size, the ticket price, if they have food, how often they had bands play I would really appreciate it.

I'm off Happy Valley Road and 67th Ave. There's definitely nothing out this way as far as decent venues but I think the reason Tempe has all of the venues is because of ASU. Bulldogs was at 50 something-th ave and Glendale but it didn't last long. It's a pretty risky venture to get in to.
Ok thats a bit more west than me, but if I remember correctly its really growing out there also. I just graduated from ASU, and played all the places around there, and I never really noticed a big college crowd. But ya like you said there's nothing up north

Mosschops

That sounds like exactly what I was thinking. An entertainment place that could really cater to a younger crowd. If you can could you tell me more about the place, like the size, the ticket price, if they have food, how often they had bands play I would really appreciate it.
As soon as her social calendar will allow the time for such questions I'll glean the information and pass it back to you ;)
If I had one solid piece of planning advice it would be what genres would make it easy for the police? Who around here have a great influence on entertainment licenses.

Mosschops

£2/$3 On the door for a standard band night, one band sandwiched by a DJ. £5/$8 for a blow out of bands with no sandwiching, just live music.
Drinks are reasonable priced which I'm guessing is the old adage of 'make little but often' which probably gets him large discounts with the drinks wholesaler and in return higher profits than selling the drinks at a higher price.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Drinks are reasonable priced which I'm guessing is the old adage of 'make little but often' which probably gets him large discounts with the drinks wholesaler and in return higher profits than selling the drinks at a higher price.
That used to be a good model, but here in the US, drinking is way down. DUI criteria are getting lowered all the time and the police are watching folks leaving bars so much, many folks are reluctant to have more than a couple. I have no issue with keeping drunks from behind the wheel. I applaud this. But it has really hurt the bar business and by extension the live musicians ability to make a living.

So you're left with riding the fine line between prices for both drinks and cover that attract patrons and making enough to stay in business. Serving food brings in a whole 'nother set of regulatory folks, but it can add to the margin. Venue merch like t-shirts, hoodies, license plate frames can help your bottom line as well as help promote the venue. I am personally opposed to smoking (watched my mom die from it), but I recognize that it still exists, especially among the folks that go out to bars and music venues. And I've noticed that placed that have a semi sheltered area where smokers can go without huddling under a small porch, also keep more patrons for longer stretches of evenings.