Thinking of opening my own school. What would you like to see?

madgolfer

Since this concept sounds like an 'alternate' type of High School, which I think is a great idea. I was wondering what would the electives be? Would the electives be the music related classes? Or would they be the core (state required) classes like Math, English, History, Science etc...

Also would you be using teachers from the NEA or NFM unions?

What are your plans for meals? A cafeteria or bring your own meal daily requirement?

Transportation to and from school and before and after hours classes?

Just wondered what your plans in these areas might be...
I think I would put it to a vote year to year about what types of electives the majority of students would appreciate taking and plan accordingly. As for the State required "stuff," I do definitely want to prepare students for college if that is what they (the students) want, so I feel having that traditional academic core is a good idea. I just don't know if having long classes (like many schools do) is the way to go. There is a lot of research showing us that most people get more out of shorter sessions that meet more often. This would allow more flexibility in terms of scheduling the music classes and placing an emphasis on them.

A cafeteria would be necessary for students who are in residence, although I would try to make it have a little more "atmosphere" than the usual environments. Day students may be asked to bring their own...or not. Gotta figure that one out. It would depend on the numbers of students, I think.

Transportation for students in residence is moot point, apart from a few cars or vans for emergency runs or shopping. I suppose day students may have to secure their own transportation, although those in need may need a shuttle service from the school. Good point, gotta think more on that.

Unions are another point I haven't thought about much, although I will need to. Good that you brought this up, although I don't have an answer at this time.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I think I would put it to a vote year to year about what types of electives the majority of students would appreciate taking and plan accordingly. As for the State required "stuff," I do definitely want to prepare students for college if that is what they (the students) want, so I feel having that traditional academic core is a good idea. I just don't know if having long classes (like many schools do) is the way to go. There is a lot of research showing us that most people get more out of shorter sessions that meet more often. This would allow more flexibility in terms of scheduling the music classes and placing an emphasis on them.

A cafeteria would be necessary for students who are in residence, although I would try to make it have a little more "atmosphere" than the usual environments. Day students may be asked to bring their own...or not. Gotta figure that one out. It would depend on the numbers of students, I think.

Transportation for students in residence is moot point, apart from a few cars or vans for emergency runs or shopping. I suppose day students may have to secure their own transportation, although those in need may need a shuttle service from the school. Good point, gotta think more on that.

Unions are another point I haven't thought about much, although I will need to. Good that you brought this up, although I don't have an answer at this time.
The shorter classes point is a very good idea to look into. My classes in public school last 45 minutes, and although I don't know if that's considered "short" or "long", I think that I can pay attention more easily when the lessons are shorter. This coming from a diagnosed ADHD Inattentive.

If there's already a cafeteria for the residentials, why not have it open to day students as well? Depending on the hours of classes, you could offer only certain meals to day students, or you could make it completely open, but I'm sure the latter would cost a bit more.