Thinking about starting private lessons. Looking for some motivation

TColumbia37

Silver Member
Well, I've gotten the first part out of the way. I am proud and confident saying that I am no longer a smoker!

I will, hopefully, be signing up for lessons tomorrow, and starting next week.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
First - Congratulations! This will help so much more in your life that drumming could ever could.

Second - Holy crap! What book is this?
Thank you very much!

It was Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.

My friend had the same results (he's on day #215 without smoking). He just read the book, had his last cigarette, and never smoked again.

BlueSky

Well, I've gotten the first part out of the way. I am proud and confident saying that I am no longer a smoker!

I will, hopefully, be signing up for lessons tomorrow, and starting next week.
Congratulations - on both counts. I know the cessation thing can be done. My dad quit after smoking for 60 years, and he has been cigarette free for over a year now.

As for the lessons, I had my first one last night and found out I was doing some things wrong and making it more difficult for myself. I am sure you have been drumming for some time now, but lessons can't hurt.

Good luck and keep us "posted"

JohnW

Silver Member
If you have the willpower to quit smoking, you should be able to tackle anything the world of drumming can throw at you.

My mother-in-law and tabla teacher both died of cancer from smoking (My deepest condolences to MK636). And while I didn't smoke cigarettes, I did chew Skoal tobacco for three years. For some reason in the '80s, the word was that not only was dip not bad like smoking, but that it was actually good for you. Not one of my brightest periods, but I finally got the message when I went to Ireland. I met this guy who was about 85 who showed me the effects of putting shavings from a pipe tobacco block behind his lip. The gum on his lower front jaw was completely missing and looked like something out of a medical encyclopedia.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
It was Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking.
How funny. I have a sister and an uncle who both swear by that book. They both read it and never smoked again. My sister actually gave it to me several years ago, I always meant to get round to reading it but never did. Given that I gave the smokes away about a year ago now anyway, I guess it's somewhat of a moot point now.

Congrats. I'm fully aware of what an achievement it is.