Things you do that annoy your bandmates

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
I do nothing that annoys my bandmates. I'm perfect...............and that annoys them.
Nice lol... sounds like you have a case of LSD- "lead singers disease." Oh how perfectly perfect they are.

I m known as Presto Change-o because I happen to like the feel of my own double pedal, snare and ride. Our guitarist has a cheap set at his house for practice, including cheap crappy hardware and shot out heads.So I switch em out for my own gear. Its a matter of feeling comfortable and he just gets so damn annoyed when I do it. LOL... It only takes about 5 minutes I just make him deal with it. I asked him if he would use my beat ass old guitar to practice on while at my house....He declined of course.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Jeeze guys, what is this, Swiss Finishing School? ( Nothing personal , Bernard... )

Keep yer' bra straps on laddies, its a just an occasional bit o clean teasin'.
... to help our more errant members with drummer etiquette :)

Naigewron

Platinum Member
i think i piss off our new lead guitarist by insisting that we actually know the songs we play. he's always saying stuff like "who cares if we don't nail every song as long as people are dancing and having a good time". i say that i don't like being embarrassed by missing transitions, playing through stops, and stumbling our way through endings because no one really knows the song. i always want to work out a specific arrangement for each song, and practice that arrangement until we nail it. he wants to play whatever he feels at the moment and trust our instincts to get through the songs. that'd be fine if we were a jam band, but we're not. we play cover songs and originals. i think i'm getting on his nerves by being so fussy, but i'm sticking to my guns because i believe that good bands know their songs.
Your guitar player needs a serious reality check. If not, he needs a good firing from the band.

Neil

When I start playing a song that is meant to be in 4/4 but I play in 3/4 and it takes me most of the song to remember what the hell I should be doing. I got some seriously nasty looks!

In my defense, we had only rehearsed it once.

I get to our rehearsal an 1hr 30 before the rest of the guys so I get to warm up before hand then quitely sit and watch them setup. We seem to all realise that it's very impolite to play when we haven't all got our plugs in or are trying to talk to each other.

Me and one of my guitarists play YYZ by Rush or some other song our other guitarist doesnt know. Every single time he hears that intro on the ride, he starts shouting "NOOO!!!"

They also expect me to leave my drumset at their house so we don't have to set it up every time. What do I practice on? Oh yes thats right, my Starcaster snare, crash, and floor tom on its side as a bass drum.

T

thatguykalem

I'm in a punk band and I constantly play jazz inbetween songs at rehearsals!!!

Love it :)]
I do this all the time XD

It's a nice way to relax, actually.

Another fun little thing I do, is plugging my iPod into our guitarist's iPod dock when nobody's looking, turning the volume up to maximum, and pumping some Miles Davis =D

A

aceface

Sorry Gents for the language.

As Mr E Presley once said " he gonna be an angry young man some day"

Just Venting alittle.

Still think he is a Pr@*K thou.

zakhopper316

Silver Member
Jeeze guys, what is this, Swiss Finishing School? ( Nothing personal , Bernard... )

See, there's this guy who plays guitar, and he's one of those , well you know..." just follow what I say and you'll go far types".

He can sight read & write music and naturally gives me an added inferiority complex, and sometimes.. just sometimes there is nothing more satisfying to me than to see the vein in his neck throb with frustration as he restrains himself from blowing his stack.

Actually the fun part is that the softer I play, the madder he gets. He hears everything. Great ear training. So the game is to do a soft buzz roll.. take it way down- like rats pissing on cotton wool, on the edge of the snare, and see if he notices : )... great practice, btw..

I love it! : )
haha im going to play this game when my guitarist is tuning.
it takes him like 10 min to "tune" too.

aydee

Platinum Member
I agree, it's very rude. Basic professionalism requires that there be no noodling!

See, there's this guy who plays guitar, and he's one of those , well you know..." just follow what I say and you'll go far types". ( Well, he is very good, I'll admit )

He can sight read & write music and naturally gives me an added inferiority complex, and sometimes.. just sometimes there is nothing more satisfying to me than to see the vein in his neck throb with frustration as he restrains himself from blowing his stack.

Actually the fun part is that the softer I play, the madder he gets. He hears everything. Great ear training. So the game is to do a soft buzz roll.. take it way down- like rats pissing on cotton wool, on the edge of the snare, and see if he notices : )... great practice, btw..

I love it! : )

Last edited:
B

BigSteve

LOL. Well you may have an evil grin, Steve, because that was wicked! What possessed you to be so naughty ... still laughing ... love it :)
Well Polly, the guy is a long time friend and a bit of a practical joker himself...I couldn't resist the catch him out a little. :)

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I agree, it's very rude. Basic professionalism requires that there be no noodling!
And no more chit-chat than is needed when there's a hungry drummer that needs feeding! Especially when the conversation drifts from music or is something that could have been worked out beforehand.

Glad my band isn't professional :)

Spreggy

Silver Member
Aydee, I love you, but this is why drummers get a bad name.

To any beginners reading this terrible, hopless thread, do not do this!

Sit back. Offer suggestions. Get involved. But DO NOT prattle away on your kit while people are trying to communicate!

It is the height of bad manners.

W

wy yung

A little pitter-patter on the snare while real musician A is going blue in the face trying to explain to real musician B, that there is a B# in there just before the D.

Aydee, I love you, but this is why drummers get a bad name.

To any beginners reading this terrible, hopless thread, do not do this!

Sit back. Offer suggestions. Get involved. But DO NOT prattle away on your kit while people are trying to communicate!

It is the height of bad manners.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I've been working with a friend writing songs and recording drum tracks for them. We don't live near each other so this is not at a band practice were we are together. So I sent him drum tracks for a particular song and withheld the click track. When he called me and asked about the click track I told him to just set the internal metrone on the porta studio he's using to 137bpm, (song was actually at 134bpm!), and waited for him to see if he could figure it out. It took a couple of hours but he called me back and was in a panic cause the tracks were off tempo. I had to let him in on the tempo and had a good laugh over it. Evil grin!
LOL. Well you may have an evil grin, Steve, because that was wicked! What possessed you to be so naughty ... still laughing ... love it :)

Aydee said:
A little pitter-patter on the snare while real musician A is going blue in the face trying to explain to real musician B, that there is a B# in there just before the D.
Abe, I do exactly the same thing. My band mates are familiar with the pitter-patter of little snares. Also little hi hats, when I'm trying to be extra considerate. It's weird, in those situations, the lightest touches feel as though they're amplified through a Marshall stack. I'm barely touching the drum yet the others are raising their voices to talk over it.

Ah, that's something I miss about not playing keys any more ... membership of the exclusive tuned instruments club. Also being able to flubb my lines without creating panic in the ranks :)

Spreggy said:
I get the same feeling when the sound guy doesn't wanna mic the toms in a situation when he should.
Ouch! You just brought back some bad memories. That used to drive me nuts but I wasn't as assertive as you. If the gig was being recorded you'd hear these holes where the toms should be. This devaluation of toms is madness. How about we mute the guitarist's D and G strings? Who needs 'em - they still have the tops and bottoms, right? I found it to be part of that mid-80s mentality, ie. drum kit = kick and snare ... unless you had Simmons toms, of course, in which case they'd be thrilled to have trendy cannons to play with.

Darn unmusical ingrates ... grrr!

A former guitarist "aquaintance" once told me that he had seen drummers playing on much smaller kits than mine who sounded better than me. I pointed out that Jimi Hendrix used an old guitar which he played back to front and still sounded better than him! (We don`t speak much anymore!!)
The singer in my current band complains constantly about how loud my cymbals are and always asks me to hit them a little quieter. This is just as he announces to the audience that we will now play Song 2 by Blur??? Somehow, the more he complains the harder I seem to hit them:)
But I guess my favourite trick is to turn up to practise early and hide the beer which we keep in the band room. No matter how many times I do this, they never seem to find it funny?

aydee

Platinum Member

Spreggy

Silver Member
Well, yes thanks, but now it's pretty much the first thing anyone says showing up for a gig... "Jer, take the corner and push back as far as you can", or maybe the classic; "we'd have more room if your kit wasn't so big, can you loose some stuff?"

They also never seem to appreciate when I ask them to play without a string or 2 on their guitars... I mean, c'mon - the number of redundant notes on a guitar is pretty insane, and you only need 3 notes to make a chord and only have 4 fingers...
I get the same feeling when the sound guy doesn't wanna mic the toms in a situation when he should. I told one guy "No problem, I'll put the toms back in the car."

Anyways, tonight was my first gig back with the wedding band since taking the winter off, and I think my rusty chops annoyed them plenty. ;P