The world of drummers need.....

wordword

New materials being used for drumsets!

Ahead and other stick brands are already jumping on the non-wooden stick bandwagon ( a good move), now its time to see some brands start making some non-wooden drumkits!!!

Plastics, acrylics, whatever works!

dairyairman

Platinum Member
a lot of materials have been tried, including a million types of wood, steel, aluminum, copper, titanium, brass, fiberglass, acrylic, carbon fiber, and probably others. i've even seen drum kits made out of ice and cheese. did you have something in mind?

C

Crazy8s

I dunno. Sometimes you just want the real thing, and not something mined at the expense of the human soul. Oil and metal don't have the same spirit as wood. I think trees, if given the choice, would very much enjoy becoming part of your musical passion. They know their roles here on Earth and bless us with their majesty.

Oil and metals are usually obtained via the blood of the people, as they too are the blood of the Earth. A trade is made, blood for blood.

Blood for blood is not a good exchange spiritually. Because of the spiritual nature of drums, my preference is for wooden drums because trees are life.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member

Ahead and other stick brands are already jumping on the non-wooden stick bandwagon ( a good move), now its time to see some brands start making some non-wooden drumkits!!!

Now?

People have been making non-wood drum sets since the 1970's. Numerous companies have made non-wood drum sets over the years.

Fiberglass, acrylic, steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, it's all been used to make drum sets already.

Duckenheimer

a lot of materials have been tried, including a million types of wood, steel, aluminum, copper, titanium, brass, fiberglass, acrylic, carbon fiber, and probably others. i've even seen drum kits made out of ice and cheese. did you have something in mind?
............Kittens?

iwantmemoney

I dunno. Sometimes you just want the real thing, and not something mined at the expense of the human soul. Oil and metal don't have the same spirit as wood. I think trees, if given the choice, would very much enjoy becoming part of your musical passion. They know their roles here on Earth and bless us with their majesty.

Oil and metals are usually obtained via the blood of the people, as they too are the blood of the Earth. A trade is made, blood for blood.

Blood for blood is not a good exchange spiritually. Because of the spiritual nature of drums, my preference is for wooden drums because trees are life.
these are such good words.

i had to check out the links, your drums and some playing. very cool.

i do like a lot of metal snare drums tho- i'm not fanatic about wood only...but you don't see a lot of metal toms or kick drums around, which says something.

and sticks that aren't made from wood have never come even remotely close to how wood handles. i even bought a pair of aheads against my better judgement, but wanted to have a lot of time to handle them- huge fail- i don't poopoo 'em for trying tho.

but even harvested wood is filled with life and balance. and like crazy8's says, "spirit"...you just can't dial that up on your cnc machine, no matter how sophisticated it is. not yet, anyway...

W

wy yung

Pol's astute consideration to weight is an important factor. But for purely sound considerations....bring on other materials!

druid

Silver Member
I absolutely hate and don't use my one pair of Ahead sticks I bought ( when I was in a band that ate up my sticks).....cost 3 times as much as the ones I do love and feel terrible to play.

No thanks to Ahead sticks. Peter Criss and Lars Ulrich can keep em.

Mark_S

Silver Member

What he said. There is just something about wood, something warm and nice. In a world where we are becoming more and more separated from nature, it's nice to have something natural like wood around.

keep it simple

Platinum Member

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. To consider new materials, there needs to be a reason, a special property that the new material brings to the party. Just because it's different, or a funky marketing angle, isn't enough, at least, not for me.

All of that said, there is a ton of room for innovation in other areas. The drum market is largely starved of true blue sky innovation. Only a few real departures have appeared over the last few decades, & many of them haven't moved the game forward that much, with the exception of better production methods. I think the big companies are too close to the game, & have an interest in maintaining the status quo. It's much cheaper to come up with a new marketing angle/finish, etc, than it is to invest in prospecting R&D. The small builders rarely have deep enough pockets to delve into the farthest unknown.

Bring on some really new thinking!!!!!

How about inflatable kits that require no setup. Modular acoustic constructions that morph according to the desired sound requirements. Tuning systems that can tune heads evenly & automatically (oh, wait, someone already invented the Rototom). You get the idea!

yesdog

Silver Member
I tried grip tape once on my sicks. I was playing and hit the guitar player in the back of the head with a stick. The grip tape was in my hand but the stick was not. I would say the grip tape did its job perfectly. It ticked off the guitar player and stayed in my hand so I could reload.