The why of drums

shadowlorde

to the retractable tuning ... roto toms .. rotational tuning .. ...

but i'd like to see a double headed rototom in a drum shell .. don't know how it'd work though

shadowlorde

to the retractable tuning ... roto toms .. rotational tuning .. ...

but i'd like to see a double headed rototom in a drum shell .. don't know how it'd work though

.. just learned something new .... pearl vari-pitch drums ... roto-toms in a drum shell ... interesting

BassDriver

Silver Member
I pose another question:

Why haven't I seen anything here about running a wooden drum stick tip through some hot coals to harden the tips for a different sound?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The amount of moisture in most lumber used for drumsticks is minimal and I don't think hot goals would take out enough moisture to make musch if any difference.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Also, wood weakens when burnt, so it might get a different sound, but you'd just end up chipping the tips even faster.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
i thought most cymbal makers melted down and recycled factory seconds and returned cymbals. it might be more common than you think.

about drumsticks made out of plywood, i used to have a pair of plywood drumsticks a long time ago with nylon tips. i don't remember much about them, except they looked cool. i think they were pro mark sticks, but i'm not sure.

about different types of tips, there's been a lot of different tip materials tried over the years besides nylon. i've even seen metal tipped sticks. today there are still sticks made with unusual tip materials.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I think the majr brands may remelt their scrap or cuttings, but I doubt if they melt down any old cymbal not being sure what it's made of. They do have reputations to uphold, not to mention the overhead of buying, shipping and storing used product. I don't think there is that much of a market anyway. Most cymbals last forever treated properly.