The very important position of the ride cymbal.

Davo-London

Gold Member
Depends

If you're a Jazzer then the ride is played extensively and so it figures that it has to be in easy and comfortable reach for the dominant hand, ie on the right for RH player. If you play rock and the ride is used in the chorus or for an occasional crash then placement is less critical. One size doesn't fit all.

Davo

A

audiotech

One above the 8" rack tom and one on the right side of the 12" rack tom if I'm using two rides. If I'm not using the 8" rack tom, then one goes to the left of the 10" rack tom.

Or if I'm using one ride, over the right side of the bass drum or to the right of the rack toms depending on the configuration of drums (1 or 2 rack toms).

Dennis

marko138

Silver Member
One above the 8" rack tom and one on the right side of the 12" rack tom if I'm using two rides. If I'm not using the 8" rack tom, then one goes to the left of the 10" rack tom.

Or if I'm using one ride, over the right side of the bass drum or to the right of the rack toms depending on the configuration of drums (1 or 2 rack toms).

Dennis
Wow, a couple of gorgeous set ups!

My ride is placed similar to that of Chris Pennie's (on his 6-piece kit) (but farther back), because i was born with abnormally long arms for my height (I can touch my knees without bending! and I'm 6'2") and so mine is kind of far away, and i prefer 24" (for a far bell)rides, though i use a 22. I played mine to the right like alot of you do, but my arm was practically at an acute angle and uncomfortable.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm contemplating going ride-less and replacing it with a tambourine. I'm sure that sound used on every song will just be a big hit with the dancers.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
The ride is one thing I'm really picky about. I place the ride stand and throne first, then setup the rest of my kit around it. At any rate, it goes over the bass drum, and slightly to the right, where most 5pc kits have the second tom. I've played on lots of setups with the ride over the low toms, and can't stand it. It throws off my stick "technique".

D

Doctor Dirt

Thats a whole lotta cymbals in those pics, you guys must love to smash and crash!!
Marko is that the same Zil. 4 different times (custom dk. crash) ?????? You have more money in cymbals than I do in my car!!! Doc

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thats a whole lotta cymbals in those pics, you guys must love to smash and crash!!
Marko is that the same Zil. 4 different times (custom dk. crash) ?????? You have more money in cymbals than I do in my car!!! Doc
Everyone knows that when you die and you stand at the pearly gates, St Peter asks you what kinds, and how many, cymbals that you had before you are accepted into heaven.

S

sticks4drums

Everyone knows that when you die and you stand at the pearly gates, St Peter asks you what kinds, and how many, cymbals that you had before you are accepted into heaven.
NO,NO,NO. I have it on good authority that they ask you how many toms you had in your kit. :)

S

sticks4drums

The ride is one thing I'm really picky about. I place the ride stand and throne first, then setup the rest of my kit around it. At any rate, it goes over the bass drum, and slightly to the right, where most 5pc kits have the second tom. I've played on lots of setups with the ride over the low toms, and can't stand it. It throws off my stick "technique".
It actually helps mine. :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
He actually asks you if you played in any bands that had some horns. Saxes, trumpets, trombones etc. If you say no, he sends to the place where horns are part of the head gear.