The sound of the stick resonating when hitting the drum

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I'm on a cruise right now and brought with me a practice pad and have been working on my hands. I noticed something new to me that the stick(not the tip) have a significant nice resonating sound when not choked. I am trying to control the stick to get that sound and use it to get both hands even.

But what is your experience with playing on a kit - is it noticeable? Any importance?

Is the rim click 'sweet spot' where we find this sound?
Sorry I am not near any drums right now and can't test for myself.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
I'm on a cruise right now and brought with me a practice pad and have been working on my hands. I noticed something new to me that the stick(not the tip) have a significant nice resonating sound when not choked. I am trying to control the stick to get that sound and use it to get both hands even.

But what is your experience with playing on a kit - is it noticeable? Any importance?

Is the rim click 'sweet spot' where we find this sound?
Sorry I am not near any drums right now and can't test for myself.
Yes. For me, it's most noticeable on the ride cymbal. Important? I think so. Unless I'm intentionally choking up on the stick or playing a dead stroke, , etc., the resonance correlates with the quality of sound I'm typically aiming for.

BTW, this is one of the ways metal sticks can be useful for developing technique on a practice pad, as you can typically hear (and feel) the resonance even more than you can with wooden sticks (as well as hear/feel the harsh vibrations of choking the stick).

John Lamb

I was taught that it was "10% of the sound" ... but i don't know where the number came from :eek:

Personally I don't care whether it does or not, because it feels great in the hand when you get the tone.

Incidentally, I was researching the physics of the sweet spot, and found that the physics of the drumstick sweet spot are the same as the physics of the baseball bat sweet spot: It is a vibrational node. You'll get more leverage on a drum stick by holding it all the way on the butt end, but the butt end, tip and middle of the stick all vibrate the most, while the sweet spot vibrates the least, so holding it on the sweet spot dampens it the least, allowing the stick to ring out the most :)

ChrisNYC

I remember Paul Wertico talking about this years ago, maybe in a video. And over the years when I would practice on a pad I would try to play in such a way that the stick would resonate.

But recently I'm having second thoughts about this "resonating stick" when it comes to playing certain surfaces in a real drum kit. Depending on the tempo, and on the drum heads/tuning, sometimes the snare or toms don't kick the stick back the same way as a practice pad does, and I *think* the stick is getting "stuck" in the head (muddier sound etc).

So, I'm experimenting with different finger and wrist grips that unfortunately do "choke" the sound of the stick, but I hope will make certain toms sound better. If I strike gold I'll report back!

Chris

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
For sure how you hold the stick affects the near field tone. It's the most desirable situation IMO, but it can't be used everywhere. Like really fast stuff. But backbeat stuff? Let that stick resonate all night long. Let it absorb the vibration, not your hand. I find I can hear it the most on the snare drum, (as opposed to the ride or the hi hat) then the toms.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I think it depends.

Offcourse, soundwise, it doesn't matter how long the stick rings. When it has left the playing surface, it has left the playing surface.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The stick hitting the playing surface and not being choked is the whole reason for letting the stick ring.. The drum sounds to me like it resonates better when it's hit with a stick that rings. Since I use rimshots at all dynamics for most of my backbeats, you can really hear the difference of a choked stick vs a resonant stick. True, after the stick leaves the head, it doesn't matter anymore, it's job is done.