The Snare Wires General Info Thread

Just as important as the wires, IMO, is the thin-ness of the connecting strap. I find cord to be too thick and I can't get a totally crisp sound. I especially don't like the PureSound clip and fabric strap attachment mechanism. I had that on my Paduak snare for the longest time and I could never understand why I didn't like it as much as my others. It was the snare response. I changed the buttstrap to a plastic strap and ditched those horrid clips.

Now it's my absolute favorite snare for live. Absolute favorite.

Snares are important, and the centered-ness of the wire alignment on the head and the straightness of the straps is crucial too. I like a military snare sound, tight and crisp, and if I can't get snares to stop rattling at tight tensions, it ruins my high lol.

What do cable snares sound like?

This is a great thread. Snare wires and snare buzz the bane of all drummers. I've got brass wires on a SONOR snare I have and it is a clean bright sound. Nice to see the snare wire strap getting some attention too. I mentioned on another thread where I had snare buzz and discovered when I changed heads and tightened the plastic snare wire straps it torqued so snare wires wouldn't seat properly. I find some snares work better cord, some ribbon, some plastic strap. But getting the snare wires centered and in good contact is crucial.

I have been using Puresounds for years. Either Blasters or Concert 12 strand.

In a bout of cheapness/curiosity, I ordered a set of the cheap Gibraltar wires. Going to AB them with some Puresounds on this Pearl Brass snare I bought.

Only trouble is that I'm figuring out Amazon Prime and I have to wait a week for them instead of the 2 days. FWP.

I have been using Puresounds for years. Either Blasters or Concert 12 strand.

In a bout of cheapness/curiosity, I ordered a set of the cheap Gibraltar wires. Going to AB them with some Puresounds on this Pearl Brass snare I bought.
FWP.

Same story here 2 weeks ago. I bought a Gibraltar set to throw on an old Pearl steel shell I'm giving away. I tried them on my Yamaha Maple Custom 14x6 for kicks (or bass drums), and I honestly don't think I'll be buying $30 Puresounds any longer.

I replaced my DW aluminum 6.5x14 snare wires with 30 stand PureSounds - I can't actually find a "snare bed" on this drum's snare side - is that because metal snare drums don't have snare beds?

If it does have a snare bed, (but I don't think it does) is the 30-strand too wide for it? doesn't seem so, but being a sort of newbie, not sure

I replaced my DW aluminum 6.5x14 snare wires with 30 stand PureSounds - I can't actually find a "snare bed" on this drum's snare side - is that because metal snare drums don't have snare beds?

If it does have a snare bed, (but I don't think it does) is the 30-strand too wide for it? doesn't seem so, but being a sort of newbie, not sure

It has snare beds. If you run your finger along the edge you'll feel it. The Super 30s should work fine. I've had good luck with them.

I posted photos some time go where I replaced the clip on these snares with a small aluminum rod in the strap opening and made the snares much better.

Just as important as the wires, IMO, is the thin-ness of the connecting strap. I find cord to be too thick and I can't get a totally crisp sound. I especially don't like the PureSound clip and fabric strap attachment mechanism. I had that on my Paduak snare for the longest time and I could never understand why I didn't like it as much as my others. It was the snare response. I changed the buttstrap to a plastic strap and ditched those horrid clips.

Two sides to every coin. If you had a metal snare with a little too much ring the cloth straps may help tone it down rather than stick all kinds of stuff on the batter head. But I agree, straps, cords, cables, make a difference. It's all about finding that sound.

Two sides to every coin. If you had a metal snare with a little too much ring the cloth straps may help tone it down rather than stick all kinds of stuff on the batter head. But I agree, straps, cords, cables, make a difference. It's all about finding that sound.

Two sides indeed. I would never have guessed that cloth butt straps could help with ring.

Like Steady Freddy said, definitely has a snare bed. Many metal snares have a wide and gradual bed that's difficult to see. The next time you pull the bottom hoop and head, set the drum on a flat surface, and it will be apparent.

Back