The Snare Wires General Info Thread

Ron_M

I replaced my DW aluminum 6.5x14 snare wires with 30 stand PureSounds - I can't actually find a "snare bed" on this drum's snare side - is that because metal snare drums don't have snare beds?

If it does have a snare bed, (but I don't think it does) is the 30-strand too wide for it? doesn't seem so, but being a sort of newbie, not sure
Like Steady Freddy said, definitely has a snare bed. Many metal snares have a wide and gradual bed that's difficult to see. The next time you pull the bottom hoop and head, set the drum on a flat surface, and it will be apparent.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Two sides to every coin. If you had a metal snare with a little too much ring the cloth straps may help tone it down rather than stick all kinds of stuff on the batter head. But I agree, straps, cords, cables, make a difference. It's all about finding that sound.
Two sides indeed. I would never have guessed that cloth butt straps could help with ring.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
Just as important as the wires, IMO, is the thin-ness of the connecting strap. I find cord to be too thick and I can't get a totally crisp sound. I especially don't like the PureSound clip and fabric strap attachment mechanism. I had that on my Paduak snare for the longest time and I could never understand why I didn't like it as much as my others. It was the snare response. I changed the buttstrap to a plastic strap and ditched those horrid clips.
Two sides to every coin. If you had a metal snare with a little too much ring the cloth straps may help tone it down rather than stick all kinds of stuff on the batter head. But I agree, straps, cords, cables, make a difference. It's all about finding that sound.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
I posted photos some time go where I replaced the clip on these snares with a small aluminum rod in the strap opening and made the snares much better.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I replaced my DW aluminum 6.5x14 snare wires with 30 stand PureSounds - I can't actually find a "snare bed" on this drum's snare side - is that because metal snare drums don't have snare beds?

If it does have a snare bed, (but I don't think it does) is the 30-strand too wide for it? doesn't seem so, but being a sort of newbie, not sure
It has snare beds. If you run your finger along the edge you'll feel it. The Super 30s should work fine. I've had good luck with them.

Drum Guy

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I have been using Puresounds for years. Either Blasters or Concert 12 strand.

In a bout of cheapness/curiosity, I ordered a set of the cheap Gibraltar wires. Going to AB them with some Puresounds on this Pearl Brass snare I bought.
FWP.
Same story here 2 weeks ago. I bought a Gibraltar set to throw on an old Pearl steel shell I'm giving away. I tried them on my Yamaha Maple Custom 14x6 for kicks (or bass drums), and I honestly don't think I'll be buying $30 Puresounds any longer.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I have been using Puresounds for years. Either Blasters or Concert 12 strand.

In a bout of cheapness/curiosity, I ordered a set of the cheap Gibraltar wires. Going to AB them with some Puresounds on this Pearl Brass snare I bought.

Only trouble is that I'm figuring out Amazon Prime and I have to wait a week for them instead of the 2 days. FWP.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
This is a great thread. Snare wires and snare buzz the bane of all drummers. I've got brass wires on a SONOR snare I have and it is a clean bright sound. Nice to see the snare wire strap getting some attention too. I mentioned on another thread where I had snare buzz and discovered when I changed heads and tightened the plastic snare wire straps it torqued so snare wires wouldn't seat properly. I find some snares work better cord, some ribbon, some plastic strap. But getting the snare wires centered and in good contact is crucial.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just as important as the wires, IMO, is the thin-ness of the connecting strap. I find cord to be too thick and I can't get a totally crisp sound. I especially don't like the PureSound clip and fabric strap attachment mechanism. I had that on my Paduak snare for the longest time and I could never understand why I didn't like it as much as my others. It was the snare response. I changed the buttstrap to a plastic strap and ditched those horrid clips.

Now it's my absolute favorite snare for live. Absolute favorite.

Snares are important, and the centered-ness of the wire alignment on the head and the straightness of the straps is crucial too. I like a military snare sound, tight and crisp, and if I can't get snares to stop rattling at tight tensions, it ruins my high lol.

What do cable snares sound like?

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I tried a set of Puresound 24 strand brass wires on a 13" Craviotto yesterday and like them a lot. A brighter sound than the steel wires. Gonna get a few more and try em on different drums.

I have always experimented with snare wires. I like 30 and 42 strand wires on deep drums. It's fun trying different things.

mike d

Silver Member
I'm no aficionado of snare wire, but I've tried a few different versions from Pure Sound, Tama, and Fat Cat. I used to play some (I think made by Tama) made of stainless stranded cable for a while (no sympathetic buzz, but not the most responsive either). I haven't seen those around for a while, but these are my favorite lately, because they seem very responsive, yet minimize sympathetic snare buzz.
FatCat 16 strand Split-Wide.

Old Dog new Cans

I wanted to revive this thread. I saw a thread on another forum about a guy who paid $50ish for a set of snare wires.

My first thought was, I never really thought about the importance of the actual wires themselves. Keep them in tact, clean and healthy, that's all I ever did with them.

I did read most of the posts in this thread.

Plating, Puresound, non metal wires. . . There's a lot going on here.

My new cheapy piccolo. . .man, the snare is skinny and just feeble looking, lol. I'm considering replacing them. Obviously, I need to make sure the new snare fits the snare bed properly.

Anyone changed out their piccolo snare wire setup? What did you swap in?

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Rolls are nice as well except that synthetic gut really shows my errors in my rolls.
Sounds like a great way to practice. Like playing clean guitar over distorted. When you can't hide behind mud, it shows where you're really at.
I'm psyched to try them and see what the deal is.

AModestRat

Nothing about synthetic wires. Anyone use the carbon ones or wires that are other than metal?
I've been thinking about trying out the synthetics on the wooden shell. I might just do that & do a report here.
I've got a set of synthetic gut on my P-87 equipped Ludwig 5x14 Rock/Concert snare. The bearing edges are pretty messed up, so I haven't really been able to tune it all that well, but I've gotten a nice dry pop out of the snare so far.

I've got a calftone on it and it's really warm, dry, and poppy instead of wet and snappy. Rolls are nice as well except that synthetic gut really shows my errors in my rolls.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Nothing about synthetic wires. Anyone use the carbon ones or wires that are other than metal?
I've been thinking about trying out the synthetics on the wooden shell. I might just do that & do a report here.