The right size Tom

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
My way of thinking the sound has more to do than just the diameter. Its the total volume as shown below. That is Volume = radius squared times the heighth.
I wish the OP would get back to us on our questions and assumptions.

Attachments

mcbike

Silver Member
Its not that they are hard to tune by themselves. Its that its hard to get enough pitch seperation between it and the drum that's only 1" larger/smaller while maintaining optimum sound from the drum.

It can be done but 2" size difference is just a more natural fit for most people.

this is just all myth. tons of big band drummers used two 16x16's and they got different sounds out of the SAME sized drums. i'm not 100% sure on this but keith moons drumset had the same tom at least 3 times.

a 1" difference in a tom size is a BIG difference in the volume of air a drum can hold. i'm not a mathmetician but when you are talking about diameter an inch is a big deal percentage wise.

wolfmoon

Silver Member
He doesn't have the Dominator... I do and the sizes are 14, 16, 18 as GD has said and shown. (see my profile for pictures if you'd like) DDRUM claims on their site that they have add on drums in all sizes imaginable BUT if you try to get something other than what they offer it's either discontinued or they don't make it SO.... it sounds like "false advertising" if you ask me. I sent them an email sometime ago in regards to what they say and never got a response. They also advertise the Dominator set in black, sunburst and natrual finishes. Now unless they changed their tune, they NO LONGER offer black or sunburst. I ordered mine about this time last year and I origianlly wanted black. After the order was placed, DDRUM called and said sorry, we don't do black in the dominator soooooo... I went with sunburst... a few days later, the same damn phone call!! (yes, when the order was placed they said sunburst was available)

This stupid crap went on and on for a few days because the sales guy called and said they may have one in purple sparkle in their warehouse. I saw the color sample and thought... ok, that's nice and it's different so let's see if they find it. Well, they didn't.. After confirming multiple times that natrual was available, I ordered and it to my surprise after all the drama, I got it!!! It seems to me that 1 hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing when it comes to these guys but in the end after all this, I am very pleased with my purchase. It is a great setup and is by far the best I have owned to this day.

T

TheArchitect

Does anyone know why 13s and 15s are hard to tune? I've had this experience as well.
Its not that they are hard to tune by themselves. Its that its hard to get enough pitch seperation between it and the drum that's only 1" larger/smaller while maintaining optimum sound from the drum.

It can be done but 2" size difference is just a more natural fit for most people.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Does anyone know why 13s and 15s are hard to tune? I've had this experience as well.
I always thought this was a myth. I have never had a hard time tuning any drum. Right now, one of the four-piece kits I use is a 20" bass, 13" rack, and 14" floor, and it may be the best sounding, easiest to tune kit I've ever played.

Even on my old really big kit, I never took longer to tune the odd sized drums than the even. But maybe that's just me, I don't know.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Yea, there is some confusion here. I should have done what you did and checked the website. I knew that something seemed out of sorts.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The trend over the past few years has been toward toms that are in even number diameters. Almost all of the manufactures have gone this route. I have four mounted toms, 12", 13", 14", and 15 inch. I no longer play the 13 and 15 inch toms. I currently play the 12" and the 14" mounted toms, and a 16" square floor tom. The odd diameter toms are harder to tune for some reason. Many five piece kits use 12 and 13" mounted toms. I like the two inch difference between my mounted toms. Thats my personal preference! I don't think that the 12" tom will be a big difference from the 13" tom. The 12" tom will have a greater tuning range. I have been in discussions on this forum about this in the past. Many other members have agreed that the even diameter toms seemed to have a more pleasing to the ear tuning range.
Note; Many drummers don't like square dimension drums like my floor tom anymore!

Drewanzajig

Today I bought a new kit at my local music store and was planning on ordering a 13" mounted tom in place of 12" they had that came with it. Unfortunately when the employee called to order it, they said the 13" mounted Toms were discontinued for that brand. The kit is a ddrum dominator. The lady working then procedded to tell me that 13" Toms are unusual and thats probably why. This makes absolutely no sense to me because practically every drummer I listen to that plays a 4 or 5 piece kit with one mounted or front tom uses a 13", not 12"..could somebody explain this to me? haha thanks