The Placement of The Ride Cymbal

wordword

I've got a new ride cymbal on its way, and thought it would be an appropriate time to look at different places the ride can be placed, and where the best of the best put theirs for their desired sound / setup.

First of, Mr. Danny Carey (Tool)

Original placement near the top-right of his kit, in a very downward angle that isn't often seen used.

Second, Travis Barker (Blink 182, +44, The Transplants, TravisAM, etc etc etc)

fairly basic placement, near his right hand, in the very popular flat angle allowing for easy right-handed use

Third, Dave Weckl

can't tell quite what cymbals what. looks like he's using 1-2 rides. maybe you can help me point out where his ride is

Forth, Neil Pert (Rush)

looks like his ride is on his right, to the left of his china

(And just in case your looking for a good ride cymbal, i've got one thats rated 9 out of 10 stars by ZZounds and you can get it for less than $50 in perfect condition)

Link to the cymbal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170476148143

Here's the Zzounds Link:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PST50218CRD

Let's see some more Ride placement!

Last edited:

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Here's mine. Low & just the right angle for me. I've never liked a high ride cymbal. I quite frequently use the ride & hats at the same time, so the placement is good for that. It looks like access is tight, but it easily reveals the playing surfaces I use. I suppose a swing player would find it a bit claustrophobic.

Attachments

Drum-Head

Silver Member
I recently set up my ride on my left (I'm right handed). I have no idea why I did it but last week I just went crazy and set up my drums in a way that obliges me to have an ambidextrous approach...

Scorched

I recently set up my ride on my left (I'm right handed). I have no idea why I did it but last week I just went crazy and set up my drums in a way that obliges me to have an ambidextrous approach...
Did this about a month ago! Now my china, ride and lowest floor tom are there. Left hand is getting better

last man to bat

Here's mine. Low & just the right angle for me. I've never liked a high ride cymbal. I quite frequently use the ride & hats at the same time, so the placement is good for that. It looks like access is tight, but it easily reveals the playing surfaces I use. I suppose a swing player would find it a bit claustrophobic.
Wow, I am totally admiring you set up KIS, that is a kit of beauty!

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Never really liked the ride super low and flat. Feels like I have to turn my wrist down. I like to have my forearm parallel to the ground and be able to hit the ride with a French grip and my wrist basically straight. From there, if I want to do anything else with my hand, I can. I'm fairly long limbed and short waisted so that does put it low compared to some folks I know for whom a similar orientation to their hands would have it 3-4" higher.

Ride is in over the bass drum so I don't have to reach for it either. This does mean that you have to be careful going quickly from the top tom to the floor and not hit the ride on the way. Especially when I have the kit set up with the 10 up top and the 12 down as a suspended FT. It's pretty small and easy to tuck up against the kick and leave room for the regular 14" FT without having to twist around. You just have to be accurate.

I tend to set up the kit to play beat patterns. So snare, hat and ride get priority. The toms just go wherever they fit in-between and I have to work around that for fills.

Drum-Head

Silver Member
Did this about a month ago! Now my china, ride and lowest floor tom are there. Left hand is getting better
I have hats on each side of my double pedal to play open handed lefty or righty. Then I have my high tom, ride and crash to my left. My low tom other crash and china are on my right. I've still got a lot of work... Things as simple as opening the hats with the right foot in unison with the kick on a up-beat is hard to get used to (amongst others). Having the ride on the left is hard on the ego hehe!

Big Foot

Silver Member
1 ride over the right side of the BD, low, but high enough to not hit my hand on the flr tom and to the right enough to still be able to play the flr tom while playing the ride.
1 crashable ride, low, and over the right side of the HH.

...I guess if we're showin' our set-up here's mine...

Attachments

Last edited:

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I keep mine right next to the hihat, sometimes even to the left of the hihat. This photo is a bit distorted; that is a 20 ride to my left.

boomstick

Silver Member
Forth, Neil Pert (Rush)
looks like his ride is on his right, to the left of his china

I think that's actually a crash. His ride is in the "standard" position for a four-piece kit: low and over the bass drum on the right side. So, he has a "break" there in his tom placement.

How is your kit set up now? How many pieces, etc? If we could see it, we could probably better suggest a ride placement.