The official London Drum Show thread. Who's coming - forum member arrangements!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
The title says it all. We've had the LDS "early heads up" thread running for a while, but as we're only weeks away from the show, please use this thread for communications & news from now on.

So - who's coming? Please chime in (especially lurkers) so you can get in on the arrangements for forum members, & join in the fun. Forum members I'm aware are confirmed to date include: Larry, Grea, Duncan, Henri, David, Davo, Ben, Madge, Rafael. I know there are more, I just can't bring them to mind right now, so please chime in & register your interest!!!

Photo call - we're taking a forum member group photo on both days. I've looked up the performance times, & the best clear space I can find in the main stage program is 12:30PM. This may possibly clash with an interesting masterclass performance, but as the masterclass times aren't yet published, I've taken a guess on this. Because there's always some form of performance going on, what ever time we select, we're always likely to clash with something. So, meet up at the Guru stand (main foyer exhibition area) at 12:30PM, but please call past earlier in the day to confirm, as we may well find a more suitable time depending on any changes to performance running times/order (there's always last minute adjustments).

So, come on over, & get involved - especially lurkers! Come and meet the faces behind the avatars :) Not just the Brit members either. Grea is coming all the way from Australia, Larry from the USA, David from Germany, & others from mainland Europe too!

Social program - a number of members are staying in local hotels. We always go out for a few scoops & grub each night. Saturday night especially, as we start off with a hosted drinks session for exhibitors & performing artists, then go on from there. We also have a London sight seeing day arranged for the Monday after the show. Hosted by guest London guide Duncan, it's sure to be a great day of catching the major sights & no doubt some beers + drum talk. Details of these social activities, meet up times, etc, can all be found at the Guru stand.

Get involved! :)

Magenta

Platinum Member
Mr Madge and I are there Saturday too, and would also like to have beer with other members.

Feeling very excited and slightly daunted at the prospect of hobnobbing with Quality ;)

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Looking so much forward to this event, it will be a blast... and I'll make sure I'll have a beer with all of you, I would like to have a cappuccino too, but it's very, very expensive, so I won't... :)

I'll be there from Friday afternoon (to give a hand to Dean & Andy), all day Saturday, all day Sunday and until early evening on Monday.

I look forward to both photoshoots, all the chats, all the drinks, all the food, all the laughs, all the jokes, maybe all the caeks???

For those who haven't decided yet, please come to the show, you won't regret it :)

Is Bernhard coming??? I would love to meet Bernhard in person :))

Feeling very excited and slightly daunted at the prospect of hobnobbing with Quality ;)
The real quality will be the kits displayed on the Guru stand, a personnality these drums share with their creators, there's absolutely no need to feel daunted about it, just feel as amazed as I was when I met both the creators and the drums last year!!!!

keep it simple

Platinum Member
OK, I'm there on saturday and would love to drink beer with fellow members.

Davo
Are you staying on Saturday evening Dave?

Mr Madge and I are there Saturday too, and would also like to have beer with other members.
So you've persuaded Mr. Madge to let you loose on Saturday night? (Mr. Madge also extremely welcome, of course).

Trust me, you are not referring to me.

Davo
Yes Dave, Madge obviously has us confused with another drum show around the same time ;) ;) ;)

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Is Bernhard coming??? I would love to meet Bernhard in person :))
I invited Bernhard a while back. I think he's otherwise engaged :( He did say he's visited the show before, but I can only assume that was a few years back. As regular LDS visitors will know, It's changed out of all recognition in the last three years. It really is one of the biggest dedicated drum shows globally. Just look at the lineup!

larryz

Platinum Member
Sounds like a wonderful time to be had by all. A "few scoops"? Are we talking ice cream? (darn British lingo stumps me every time...)

Magenta

Platinum Member
Trust me, you are not referring to me.
I shall jolly well refer to you if I want!

maybe all the caeks???
I'll see what I can do :)

The real quality will be the kits displayed on the Guru stand, a personnality these drums share with their creators, there's absolutely no need to feel daunted about it, just feel as amazed as I was when I met both the creators and the drums last year!!!!
I'm excited to meet Andy again, and equally excited to meet his real actual drums!

So you've persuaded Mr. Madge to let you loose on Saturday night? (Mr. Madge also extremely welcome, of course).

Thanks - we'll be there, at least for a while. In all seriousness, he's the most wonderful man in the whole world but he doesn't always feel very comfortable in a group of people he doesn't know, when he doesn't share the prevailing interest. I was glad when he said he'd come with me to the LDS as I wouldn't have gone on my own, so I owe it to him to be considerate of him.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
In all seriousness, he's the most wonderful man in the whole world but he doesn't always feel very comfortable in a group of people he doesn't know, when he doesn't share the prevailing interest.
What is Mr Madge passion if I may ask? (other than you good self or your caeks)

Davo-London

Gold Member
Sounds like a wonderful time to be had by all. A "few scoops"? Are we talking ice cream? (darn British lingo stumps me every time...)
Scoop is a slang term for a pint or a beer. Looks like it might have an Irish origin but these things are difficult to say for sure, for sure ...

Davo

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Right.

So I'm there Saturday evening after the show. I've booked with Ben so I imagine we'll have a phone conversation at some point sooner and arrive at the hostel together (for checking in purposes) and then make our way down to see you guys after the first round of members-only drinks. Details to be arranged there!

I'm at the show Sunday and will do my usual of irritating Andy with impertinent questions and telling people that polishing cymbals is a waste of time, then moan about fusion music and why I think everything is too loud. Most likely some of you will see me out the front taking quiet time and generally making a nuisance of myself.

Obviously there Sunday night and I've also booked Monday night at the hostel.

Is there anything specific people want to see in London? I know London quite well but if there's anything that comes to mind, let me know so I can formulate some kind of plan. Most of the 'tourist' parts are within walking distance of each other near Charing Cross station. The nightlife is there (expensive) and out in Camden (still expensive) so if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Very much looking forward to it. If you come across a big bloke that slightly resembles Seth Rogen (during his beard phase), is complaining about the noise and has a cigarette in his hand, it's probably me.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
OK, I'm there on saturday and would love to drink beer with fellow members.

Davo
I'll drink a beer with you Davo (or two, actually), the first time round I lived in England many moons ago, it was in St Albans, Marshalswick area... where do you live in St Albans?

Magenta

Platinum Member
What is Mr Madge passion if I may ask? (other than you good self or your caeks)
He isn't fanatical about anything apart from my good self (and thank goodness you said "caeks" and not "buns"), but he likes football, rugby, cars (that's CARS, not cats), dogs and his vegetable garden. He is more interesting than that makes him appear, I promise you!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I am arriving on Friday, hopefully by noon or thereabouts. I can't believe I am leaving in about 5 weeks time. I will be helping Andy and Dean set up. Staying Friday til Wednesday, but Wednesday I am leaving before noon, if I manage to stay out of jail lol.

While I have some Brits here, can anyone tell me the voltage and the hertz of the UK's electric power supply? In the US it's 120/240 volts @ 60 hertz.
Just wondering if I can plug in my phone charger or if I need a transformer.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
In line with the rest of Europe, we're 230 V, 50 Hz. We used to be 240 and 240 devices generally still work but I'm sure you know about all that!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
If you come across a big bloke that slightly resembles Seth Rogen (during his beard phase), is complaining about the noise and has a cigarette in his hand, it's probably me.
Hahaha... it's actually true, the ressemblence is impressive :)

Do you have plan to visit Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and Bugkingham Palace? For those who never been to London it could be some must see places... and Oxford Street and Kings Roads are great for shopping :)

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Thanks Henri.

Tip to travellers. If you're staying in London a London travelcard will get you on most the public transport including buses and the tube (excluding main line trains and the DLR). If you buy a separate tube ticket, you'll need a separate bus ticket. I can't remember how much more you pay if you buy both separately but if you're using both systems then it's best to buy a travelcard.

Monday we'll almost certainly be using the Tube at some point. We'll try to avoid peak times...

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
He isn't fanatical about anything apart from my good self (and thank goodness you said "caeks" and not "buns"), but he likes football, rugby, cars (that's CARS, not cats), dogs and his vegetable garden. He is more interesting than that makes him appear, I promise you!
OK... I can do cars and dogs, so he won't feel left alone in this all drums, drummers, drumming and drummerworld's palava :)