The Nasty Lick Thread from BANG! The Drum School

feldiefeld

So, this one's called "A six-stroke roll and a linear drumming idea walk into a bar..." (also known as Nasty Drum Licks #124 and #125).

You can check out a video here:

Video: "A six stroke roll and a linear drumming idea walk into a bar..."

And if you dig, you can find the PDF with transcriptions on the page linked to below (just scroll down the page to the bolded red link about 3/4 of the way down the page):

PDF / Transcriptions

Enjoy. Hope it's helpful.

feldiefeld

Hey Everyone!

Here's the latest. It's Nasty Drum Lick #123 and I think you might dig it. It's a bit of a tricky one--- a single stroke roll between your hands and feet. There is a video and PDF at the link:

"Nasty Lick #123"/

Check it out and let me know what you think. :)

feldiefeld

hi everyone-
so, this time out I want to share some paradiddle based combinations I've been messing around with. They include single paradiddles, inverted paradiddles and paradiddle-diddles combined with some of my recent hand/foot favorites.

They're also in 6/8, which I've been working on lately just because it's never as comfortable for me as 4/4.....

Anyway, you'll find a downloadable PDF with rhythmic notation and stickings at the link: 5 Amazing Paradiddle Based Drum Solo Combinations in 6/8

Hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

feldiefeld

Hi Everyone -

Here's another Nasty Lick. It's #117 and it's a killer 32nd note "roundhouse" idea. There are six exercises on the PDF with different ways to use it.

You can get the PDF here: Nasty Lick 117

I hope you dig it. Let me know what you think. Video coming...

feldiefeld

Hey Everyone - This time out, we've got a new Nasty Drum Lick that I call "The Roundhouse Six." It's named because you can rage it around the drum set, clockwise, over and over again continuously.

The hand/foot combo involved is a new one for me, I wonder if it's something you've seen before. The idea comes from something I heard Dave DiCenso play in one of his solos.

Anyway, there is a video lesson you can check out here: "The Roundhouse Six"

There is also a PDF you can download from the BANG website... the link to that is below the video on YouTube.

I hope you find it helpful!
MF

feldiefeld

Hey Everyone! This time, we've got a 16th note triplet idea that combines a six stroke roll and a little hand/foot idea. It's a Vinnie-ish sort of idea, which is one of the reasons I like it.

You can find videos (full speed and slow-mo) and a PDF transcription at:Nasty Lick #112

Questions and comments are welcomed.

feldiefeld

Hey Everyone -
Here is yet another Nasty Drum Lick for you to work on. It's 32nds in groups of five and it is a super shreddable lick.

As usual, there is a PDF that you can download at the link so you can bring it into your practice room.... Have at it: NASTY LICK #108/

Hope you enjoy it.

feldiefeld

Hi again. So, the latest, "Nasty Drum Lick #103" is here and I think you might like it. It requires some technique -- a good double stroke roll and the ability to play two fast notes with your bass drum foot are prerequisites -- but have a look and see if you dig it.

The link is HERE, and there you'll find two videos (at performance speed approx bpm = 108, and at 3/4 speed) as well as a PDF transcription with the full notation and sticking.

It's a good one, I hope you have a look and enjoy it.

MF

feldiefeld

Hi Everyone -
The drum breaks that I've transcribed at the link below aren't technically part of the "Nasty Drum Lick" series, but they might as well be. They are some things I played in a drum solo section with my band, LEVEL5 at a recent show. You can check out a video of the solo and a transcription of the stuff I played there here:

https://www.bangthedrumschool.com/level5-drum-solo-transcriptions/

I hope you find this stuff enjoyable / useful.