The matching snare

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Does anyone play a snare with the same finish as your toms? Not many drummers do this from what I can tell.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I have one, but I rarely use it. My Supra and Acrolite sound much better to me.

I think a nice chrome snare (regardless of brand) looks cool behind a kit of another color.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I've never owned a matching snare. I'm thinking someday I might pick up a blue strata snare to go with the Ludwigs, but I'm very happy with my metal snares.

AZslim

I do sometimes. I have an old blue satin flame Slingerland. I found a matching snare on ebay a while ago and couldn't pass it up. I use it when I feel like looking really retro. Mostly for jazz.

Dignan

Silver Member
When I got my PDP M5 kit it came without the snare. For a while I was searching around for the matching snare to complete the kit. After a while I came to the realization that it's not that important to me. I bought a 13" Tama Artwood Birch snare instead. Looks great with my tobacco burst drums. Then just last week I scored my newly purchased Supra to add a metal snare to the mix.

To me, a snare is more like hi-hats or a ride. It stands on its own with its own unique voice.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
When I see a matching snare....for whatever reason....I don't care for the look. Maybe it's because most drummers I see don't keep a matching snare. It looks boring to me. Stupid, I know. But I have to be honest.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
When I see a matching snare....for whatever reason....I don't care for the look. Maybe it's because most drummers I see don't keep a matching snare. It looks boring to me. Stupid, I know. But I have to be honest.
Larry, your Guru snares match your Guru kit. Shall I slit my throat now? ;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Larry, your Guru snares match your Guru kit. Shall I slit my throat now? ;)
Works, meet monkey wrench.

You are correct about that. I forgot to mention that kits with a natural finish are exempted.

Yea that was a backpedal.

I don't play that kit out, but if I did....I would be using a matching snare for sure.

opentune

Platinum Member
I did my first 2 kits and never have since. I prefer an un-matching snare. To me that makes the snare more special, a more individual choice.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
Works, meet monkey wrench.

You are correct about that. I forgot to mention that kits with a natural finish are exempted.

Yea that was a backpedal.

I don't play that kit out, but if I did....I would be using a matching snare for sure.
Hahaha, just tweaking yer nipple Lar ;)

Actually, I agree with you, except for natural wood finishes of course ;) I don't even like matching snares when the wood finish has a stain, especially fades & stuff. Matching wraps don't do it for me at all, with one exception, chrome wrap kit with a chrome snare. That said, chrome wrap kit with a bronze snare is even better :)

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Got a birch snare that came with the superstar customs... Never really play it. I always liked metal snares.

WallyY

Platinum Member
When my favorite girlfriend played rosewood sonors, I would sometimes switch my bass drum with hers and use a hammered bronze supra for snare with my birch sonors. It looked so good.
I've been using the matching lite snare now and I really like the sound and the looks.

I may even spring for that matching Benny Greb snare to keep it looking the same and sounding different.

Magenta

Platinum Member
Two of my kits have matching snares. The other has a chrome (?) one.

But as of today, the other snares can go and do one: I just acquired a 1970s Acrolite and now I feel like a PROPER drummer!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I almost don't understand why matching snares are even included in a lot of sets. I'd be willing to guess that probably 90% of drummers use mismatched snares. If I were a drum company exec looking to streamline costs, I'd suggest not including a matching snare. Make that something you have to order. I just got a Sonor Players kit for 450 US that came with a matching snare. Of course I'm not going to use it. Why even include it? I also just got a Yamaha Gigmaker set (not recommended) that came with a matching snare. Anybody want them?

8Mile

Platinum Member
The classic, so-called "bop kits" typically feature a wood snare drum in a matching finish. Metal snare drums seem to have risen in popularity with the advent of rock music.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Certain sets I don't mind matching snares. Old vintage drums for example. Even some newer drums like the new Gretsch offerings because they are so classic. But most new sets... seeing a matched snare looks cheesy to me. It makes no sense whatsoever and (said like Robin Leach) I don't know why!