The Lefty Ride Cymbal Dilemma!

Benellio

I feel i should give this a short intro, just to put my situaton into perspective...

I'm a completely self taught drummer, started when i was 13, played for 5 years and i've just set my kit up yesterday after a 5 and a half year break, so i am VERY rusty. I actually felt quite 'down' after establishing just how rusty i am! Quite sad really, because i could hold my own. If you spend 5 years doing something as a hobby then chances are you'll become pretty good at it! Anyway, that's the intro...

Now, the clear problem with being a lefty and playing on a right handed kit is where to put the ride cymbal. Personally I hate having the ride somewhere near the hi-hat, it just doesnt feel right, it obviously play's comfortably but it doesn't look right either.
This got me thinking about ambidexterity and if it is actually possible to train yourself/practice to become 100% ambidextrous. I read one of the many posts on this topic and agreed with someone saying it's in our genes to be dominant with one appendage. Anyone who isn't this way is a unique human being and obviously a rare breed.

I am also right footed so this doesn't help with swapping the kit around!

Thoughts? Can anyone relate?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I am right handed and left footed.

We're opposites!

Who cares how it looks, just put your cymbal where you want it.

Benellio

We're opposites!

How have you set your kit up? I'm getting confused trying to think!

I don't like the look of it, i know looks aren't important but i don't like having this huge 20" cymbal basically in my face! Needless to say that takes up so much space too.
I would like couple of splashes and a small china/trash to my left, so no space for mr ride!

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member

We're opposites!

Agreed. I have played open for 30 years, left hand hats and ride and I have the hats and ride on my left. I have no problem with how it looks and when I have plaed at drum-offs, others say it looks cool. Drums are the most customizable instrument for a reason. If you play like everyone else plays, then you will sound like everyone else.

I do not play ambidextrously. I suppose it would be better for anyone to be ambidextrous but I only have so much time to practice. My advice: discover the many advanted to open hbanded playing. You have a gift that you don't like.

Benellio

Agreed. I have played open for 30 years, left hand hats and ride and I have the hats and ride on my left. I have no problem with how it looks and when I have plaed at drum-offs, others say it looks cool. Drums are the most customizable instrument for a reason. If you play like everyone else plays, then you will sound like everyone else.

I do not play ambidextrously. I suppose it would be better for anyone to be ambidextrous but I only have so much time to practice. My advice: discover the many advanted to open hbanded playing. You have a gift that you don't like.
Thanks for that. :) It's good advice!
Yeah, i'm sure there is something to like about being a bit 'different' but I can't seem to find it yet. I'm also still a bit gutted at how rusty i am, i've lost so much technique/rhythm and all round feel! Maybe this is having an impact on my dislike for being open handed.

I'm sure i'll get better with practice though.
Anyone have any tips or rudiments on how to get the old drummer back? For some reason i actually see this as a potentially good period, because are there things i could especially do more of, now that i'm rusty? I can't explain myself very well, but it feels like i can 're-train' myself now? If you understand where i'm coming from?
New post maybe?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I
^ This.

Comfort is key.

As for ambidexterity, Simon Phillips and Mike Mangini taught themselves how to be completely ambidextrous, but they both spend a lot of time developing that. Ray Luzier is fairly ambidextrous, but that only resulted from when he started, he didn't know most drummers crossed their arms, and just started playing left hand lead on the hi-hat and right hand lead on the ride and it stuck.

I am 100% right handed, but I occasionally practice lefty just for the heck of it, as I think it strengths my left side.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
You are in a very unusual position. In many ways, you are starting at the beginning. You might want to consider playing crossed. - teaching your right hand to play hats and ride and setting up like everyone else. I am right handed and I play left hand hats and ride and I like having my dominant right hand on the snare, the heart of the drum set. There is really "right handed" or "left handed" playing, just open and closed. Have have a chance to take up a different approach now.

Soupy

Silver Member
For some reason i actually see this as a potentially good period, because are there things i could especially do more of, now that i'm rusty? I can't explain myself very well, but it feels like i can 're-train' myself now? If you understand where i'm coming from?
New post maybe?
Take lessons! There is, as you say, no better time to learn good technique and banish any bad habits you may have unknowingly had.