The last ever Guru Origin kit

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Andy, I'm assuming the title of the thread was supposed to read:

The last ever Guru Origin kit (except the one I'm building for Larry)

My guess is the forum software ignores parentheticals in thread titles. Don't worry, I'll report the bug to Bernhard.

Always helpful,
8Mile
I wish. Sigh.

If he would build more, I'd ask him to build some toms for my latest maple segmented kick and snare. Only because I love them SO much :)

If I had a full set of maples, and I had to choose between the walnut and maple kits, I think my brain would crash. Tough choice.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Andy, I'm assuming the title of the thread was supposed to read:

The last ever Guru Origin kit (except the one I'm building for Larry)

My guess is the forum software ignores parentheticals in thread titles. Don't worry, I'll report the bug to Bernhard.

Always helpful,
8Mile
Hahaha - actually, if only :(

Pretty! Personally, I like the metal hoops better than the wood. It's a nice contrast to the beautiful shells. Enjoy!
Thanks :) I have no real aesthetic preference either way on wood vs. metal hoops. My choice is always based on what I want to achieve in terms of delivery, but I agree, i do like the contrast on ovangkol.

No one wants this negativity.
I'm ok with this - really :) These drums are absolutely not for everyone, & mass market world domination was never even a passing thought on direction for Guru Drums.

Success is measured in so many ways, but essentially, it's achieving the goals that you set, & in that regard, we were successful.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I wish. Sigh.

If he would build more, I'd ask him to build some toms for my latest maple segmented kick and snare. Only because I love them SO much :)

If I had a full set of maples, and I had to choose between the walnut and maple kits, I think my brain would crash. Tough choice.
Hey, buddy, you're not the Larry I was talking about!

Highway Child

I guess the best thing to do now is to stop grieving the loss, and instead, celebrate the legacy of what's IMO the most cutting edge AND more importantly, successful acoustic drum designs EVER. Period.

Think about it, you have HAND SELECTED WOODS of your choice, steambent, stave and segmented constructions (the heart), milled in, not glued in, outer or inner rerings, stupid light aluminum lugs, the lightest, smallest footprint lugs in history mind you, roll formed threads (look it up), no shell penetration on the Origins. Rounded, really flat screws where there are penetrations (the tiniest detail considered) fine threaded stainless steel tuning rods, crazy "who does this?" non ply wood hoops. Again that's non ply. No paint. Bug and bee secretions instead lol. Nature's finish. And the unfair advantage, the secret weapon, the piece de la resistance...TA DA! Tympanic edges!!! Tym fricking Panic edges (the most innovative thing since RIMS mounts IMO)

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that no one has ever combined all those elements in a drum kit before. That's a really big deal in the drum world. A REALLY BIG DEAL. Let's not forget that....

Of course, full disclosure, I am completely biased :)

Andy, you SERIOUSLY raised the bar. All I can say is well done my friend. You showed EVERYONE a better way to make drums. Your work says it all. Plus you are an exceptional human being.

Honestly, I have to wonder if anyone will equal the bar you've set. Definitely without question not for what you charged.

Fuggetaboutit.

This is where I drop the mic :)
Larry said it all I guess. Kit looks stunning Andy. Great to hear you are gigging. I use my Tour set for everything (I never lend it though). Trust the AAA cases! They work.

All the best mate, hopefully we'll meet again soon - maybe the UK Drum Show? Might you go along even if not now an exhibitor?

Richard

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I wish. Sigh.

That's both great to hear, & sad in equal measure.

Directly after the announcement, I could have sold the remaining drums 5 x over. At the time, we had an order book of circa 8 months work. In addition, I then took on only a few add on drum requests from existing clients, & that was due to my desire to ensure everyone who'd patronised Guru Drums, was left in as satisfactory position as possible. Winding up was a lot of work - frankly, a lot of work I could have done without if I thought only of my own considerations.

I'm on the last mile now - just 4 more snares to complete, & that's the end. We don't even have the facility to continue now, even if I wanted to, & I've had a ton of requests to continue. If I wished to continue, I could take 2 years worth of orders in a week, but that would completely defeat the reason for taking the decision in the first place.

I've also had offers to buy the business. Some have fallen by their own momentum, some I've refused to consider due to me being dissatisfied with the associated business plans. For now, I'm retaining both the IP & trademarks. I'm also retaining the finishing shop facility, as I have some Andy stuff I want to work on (but in my own time). I have no idea what will happen, but for the foreseeable future, Guru Drums is gone.

Last July was a shocker for me, & I'm not easily shocked. I made my family a promise from my hospital bed, & I'm sticking to it, no matter how personally uncomfortable that decision is.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Those are breath-taking Andy. I can't think of a better way for you to wrap up the Guru experience. I'm hoping we'll be able to hear them at some point? I'm particularly interested to hear the two 10" toms in full-kit context.

BTW, I've always dug the unique ways you assemble your rack for that "wrapped around the bass drum" look!

I made my family a promise from my hospital bed, & I'm sticking to it, no matter how personally uncomfortable that decision is.
This tells me you made the right (albeit difficult) call. My take: With Guru, you achieved something spectacular, covered new territory and made significant contributions to the state of the art of drum design and building. Time to move on to new adventures that will leave more space in life for the people most important to you.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Last July was a shocker for me, & I'm not easily shocked. I made my family a promise from my hospital bed, & I'm sticking to it, no matter how personally uncomfortable that decision is.
THIS, just as much as anything else (including the drums themselves), is one of the reasons Guru was such a special thing; integrity. That's something that is so alien now but that integrity is what drove Guru drums to become something so different from everything else out there. I'm sure most (if not all) of the folks that own Guru drums picked up on that, because that's what always set you apart in my mind. You weren't trying to create drums with a list of fancy-sounding bullet point features. Really, you were trying to create the drums that YOU wanted to play, and were kind enough to share.

Sadly, that same integrity is what is stopping the drums now, but I'm just as impressed.

I don't own any of your drums, but I've ALWAYS enjoyed what you have to share here, whether it's your knowledge, insight, or pics of some of the most beautiful drums I've ever seen. Thanks for that!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Integrity indeed. In spades.

You could look at it this way...

You made your mark on the drum building community, plus some. You did that in a fairly short amount of time. You've given the world the most completely thought out drum kit in history.

So instead of working your life away building sets for others, you get to enjoy your life more. You succeeded. Maybe not monetarily, but in something far longer lasting and worlds better.

Guru are the Stradivarius of drums.

So Dean moved locations? Did he keep the C&C machine?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
hopefully we'll meet again soon - maybe the UK Drum Show? Might you go along even if not now an exhibitor?

Richard
Thanks Richard, & great to hear you're enjoying gigging your drums :)

I'm planning on making the UK Drum Show, but it's only one day after I land back from a trip in Houston, so I'll see what condition I'm in :)

Time to move on to new adventures that will leave more space in life for the people most important to you.
Thank you - & of course, you're right :)

You weren't trying to create drums with a list of fancy-sounding bullet point features. Really, you were trying to create the drums that YOU wanted to play, and were kind enough to share.
Thank you, & that's pretty much it. What started as a personal endeavour soon ballooned into a full blown business, partly because of the investment needed to bring it all together.

You succeeded. Maybe not monetarily, but in something far longer lasting and worlds better.
Thanks Larry. Guru Drums has traded profitably for the last five years - enough to pay back 90% of the initial investment + loss in the first two years. If I had continued this year, the total investment & early losses (mostly R&D) would have been repaid, & the business would have been into net profit since inception, then a comfortable net profit going forward. Profit was never important, but paying it's way was. The foundation of the business was strong, but the returns fairly modest in the early years. The initial investment in tooling, facilities, & R&D exceeded $100,000, & that was in addition to the existing foundation of a fully equipped shell shop, so a not inconsiderable venture. Trust me, if I just wanted to make money in drums, there's a number of outsource models that are way cheaper to set up & easier to manage.

Dean has retained the CNC for his thriving joinery business, & has moved to a new bespoke premises.