The "Jukebox in my head".

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Just wondering....
Most of my life (off and on) there was almost always a soundtrack going on in my head--usually a song I'd hear on the radio or TV, etc., and it would play on a loop here and there. You know- like that "I can't get that tune outta my head" thing. Sometimes it would stop for weeks, months, etc.

Years go by, and I'm in 3 gigging bands now. That damn "rehearsal studio" in my skull goes on 24/7 a day--even provides the "soundtracks" in my dreams, and it goes from one of my band's playlist to the others. It's not driving me nuts or anything (I'm probably ALREADY nuts!) I'm just wondering if that's normal with all/most drummers or musicians.

I can actually "turn it off", but I guess I prefer it "on".
Maybe I need a "check-up from the neck-up! who knows?

Cheers,
C. P.

Brundlefly

Same thing here. I find it helpful and usually tap along with my fingers or feet. I can solve problems better with "the track" on. I also focus better and I find that it helps my creativity. Strangely, it also helps me waste people in WoW PvP games too. :)

It's even gotten to the point where I'm writing some music that way. It's sometimes easier to work out ideas when not being influenced by instrument layout.