The Geritol Tour

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

It's funny because here on DW, people will tend to shy away from events such as this; however, on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, people will talk about how great this is.

Me? When it comes to some of the old timers playing rock-and-roll, I like what Grace Slick (a la Jefferson Airplane) has to say. Basically, she said that when you reach a certain age, you basically become a cover band of yourself.

With that said, I'm considering going to see Toto in August.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
The "I've fallen and I can't get up!" tour!

Having said that, I would rather shell out the $'s for these guys than some of today's "stars".

Pylot

To me this is just pathetic. I think its only viable commercially because of the destruction of the previous music machine distribution system and the lack of new artists who achieve the same scale as these players once did.

I saw these groups when we were all in our 20's. Been there, done that.

There is a lot of great new talent out there and in Denver there is a vibrant music scene. Maybe one of the upsides of the theft of music and the fall out from that is that the only real way to make a living at it now is to tour.

To me this is just pathetic. I think its only viable commercially because of the destruction of the previous music machine distribution system and the lack of new artists who achieve the same scale as these players once did.

I saw these groups when we were all in our 20's. Been there, done that.

There is a lot of great new talent out there and in Denver there is a vibrant music scene. Maybe one of the upsides of the theft of music and the fall out from that is that the only real way to make a living at it now is to tour.

Exactly, I don't get why people can't realize that there is music just as good as 'classic' music being made right now, you just have to look a little harder since it's no longer popular. I don't know why I'm complaining though since I often get to see my favorite bands at the local venue.

NVIC

Exactly, I don't get why people can't realize that there is music just as good as 'classic' music being made right now, you just have to look a little harder since it's no longer popular. I don't know why I'm complaining though since I often get to see my favorite bands at the local venue.
Many of these artists are still recording music.

There's a reason one has to "dig deep" to find good new music from younger artists. Because there's really little out there. Oh yeah, some is pleasant enough to listen to at an outdoor festival while picnicking but eh.... much of it is boring. Some is good.

I'd don't mind paying good money to see these legends play their classic gems. If they can still play.

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I'd go see this! I think it would be amazing to see all these artists.

Besides, it beats all the lip-syncing over choreographed crap that's out there these days!

Zickos

Gold Member
We have put a band together from my graduating class of '65 for our class reunion. We call ourselves "The Geezers".

Macarina

Silver Member
Dayum... So much hate. I find the guys playing at these ages inspirational. I'd be interested in these shows. Saw Waters latest concert on DVD. One of the best shows... Evah. Stones, The Who... Lordy, some rockin going on.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Sure a lot of jealousy from some of you guys. Townsend, Daltrey, Jaggar, Richards, McCartney all kick ass over most all "new" artists out there. And they all actually played music rather than replicating the sound of an amplified construction site with each member trying to finish the "song" before the others.

GeoB

Gold Member
When I saw the title of this thread the first thing that popped into my head was watching some old guy on Ted Mack's amateur hour playing a "xylophone/bottlephone" made out of Geritol bottles. I was probably 10 at the time and was completely mesmerized by that performance...

Attachments

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Maybe I should have written "save up" your money. My purpose in posting was not to be a negative one, but with all of the stars on one stage, that it would probably be expensive. The title was only reflective of the age of the performers. My age.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
All the said bands are trailblazers, and pave the way for old ppl to follow onstage, they're giving us younger folk inspiration to be playing when we draw an SS check. In the 60's literally no one envisioned 70 yr olds playing R&R, thanks to these bands kids today are seeing it as normal, which bf was unthinkable, reach 30 in R&R and you were considered way old.

So for all you oversensitive types voting for Hillary, I support these old geezer bands, but also exercise my right to make fun of them. When you start to take this forum too seriously, its time to leave, ppl do it all the time.

johnwesley

Silver Member
So for all you oversensitive types voting for Hillary, I support these old geezer bands, but also exercise my right to make fun of them. When you start to take this forum too seriously, its time to leave, ppl do it all the time.
Absolutely. I get in "trouble" all the time because I'm a smart ass. Hope I die before I get old......