THE DRUM MODIFICATION THREAD.

Jasta 11

My band gigs a lot and it gets old setting up and tearing down, loading in and loading out, 3 or 4 nights a week so i have been thinking about how to do it with a smaller foot print ( less cymbal stands/less stage space) and lighter to carry. I was going to buy a "travel" kit or something like that but i realized, I have a ton of drums already ( a 12 piece and a 9 piece kit as well as some extra drums) so the first option was to convert a floor tom which i did. Now that is getting old too, the depth being 16 inches can take up valuable floor/stage space. SOOOOO, i decided to cut some drums on my table saw. I took a huge chance not knowing what they would sound like. The first pic without a bass reso was just to see what I had after cutting. I bought new bass lugs and used the existing holes. The next pic is at the first gig recently, now i eliminated the cymbal stand and have a small boom arm in the second tom hole. I also use a cymbal stacker arm on the ride. Last pic to give a little perspective, the bass is only 22X8. The sound is amazing, i feel like i got lucky.20190807_164148.jpg20190815_161316.jpg20190816_113830.jpg

roncadillac

My band gigs a lot and it gets old setting up and tearing down, loading in and loading out, 3 or 4 nights a week so i have been thinking about how to do it with a smaller foot print ( less cymbal stands/less stage space) and lighter to carry. I was going to buy a "travel" kit or something like that but i realized, I have a ton of drums already ( a 12 piece and a 9 piece kit as well as some extra drums) so the first option was to convert a floor tom which i did. Now that is getting old too, the depth being 16 inches can take up valuable floor/stage space. SOOOOO, i decided to cut some drums on my table saw. I took a huge chance not knowing what they would sound like. The first pic without a bass reso was just to see what I had after cutting. I bought new bass lugs and used the existing holes. The next pic is at the first gig recently, now i eliminated the cymbal stand and have a small boom arm in the second tom hole. I also use a cymbal stacker arm on the ride. Last pic to give a little perspective, the bass is only 22X8. The sound is amazing, i feel like i got lucky.View attachment 87011View attachment 87012View attachment 87013
I've done exactly that for years. Always wanted a Pacific chameleon kit but could never find one, then Tama came out with the Club Jam Mini and I jumped right on it. But before that I've been playing (and loving) shallow cut drums.

MEHDIYAT

You can take off the wrap, but be sure to get all the glue of the shells. If you want to paint them with a solid color do not sand the shells to smooth, the paint needs some grip to hold on. ( maybe 400 grit max. 600 grit)
If you good at spray painting you can usa today protonmail try it yourself, but I would suggest you put a sort of automotive laquer over the paint to get a nice shiny look. Be sure that all those layers of paint and laquers are not too thick, otherwise it will choke the sound of the shell.
The other thing you can do is , as soon as you took off the wrap, and you like the look of the wood just sand it and put a laquer on top of the shell for a nice natural finish.
I do not know any supplier of drum hardware in the UK.
project related to my drums and, eventually, to create a personalised

Last edited: