The ddrum artist inflation

sssssssss

Does anybody know what the reasons are for so many huge names in metal drumming abandoning their previous endorsement company (and Pearl is the most affected in this respect, I guess) and switching to dDrum?
The most shocking to me is the recent addition of Vinnie Paul to dDrum's artists, as Pearl have just come up with a (long time well-deserved) signature VP snare drum model, and now he's turned to dDrum (who, on the other hand, seem to be planning a whole Vinnie Paul Signature series of drumkits, if I understand correctly). And then also Pete Sandoval and a whole lot of other great names in metal have also completely switched to dDrum, although they were endorsers of huge companies (again, mostly Pearl). Many of them already were using dDrum's triggers, but now they all play dDrum acoustic drums too.

ZootELoops

Re: THE DDRUM ARTIST INFLATION

Does anybody know what the reasons are for so many huge names in metal drumming abandoning their previous endorsement company (and Pearl is the most affected in this respect, I guess) and switching to dDrum?
I guess money talks - maybe their getting a better deal with dDrum than with the other sponsors.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member

In the new Drumhead magazine, Peter Erskine talks about his switch to DW after being with Yamaha for a quarter of a century. Interestingly, he actually lost money with the move but he talks about some of the "behind the scenes" issues that might prompt an artist to jump ship.

spleen

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The Asian-made drums are certainly inexpensive, but I've never heard one that sounded good. And the high-end drums are made by Allegra, a Keller builder in Oregon, so those aren't manufactured by ddrum either! I don't think I've heard those, but as Keller shells, how are they different than even the best Keller builders like Pork Pie, Spaun, GMS, etc?

So, it's not the drums that are attracting artists. It's cash... which has become increasingly rare in the industry, and is very risky in today's economy.

And how believable is an endorsement when the endorser has been paid to say nice things about a drum company that doesn't actually make drums?

Bermuda