The Bass Pedal: Taking our jobs away

deltdrum

If there was an internet forum dating back to the early 1900's, would percussionists be venting over their displeasure of the bass drum pedal? The way I see it, that single invention allowed just one person to do the job that it regularly took 5 other guys to do. Is there any evidence of anger towards this innovation? I know that it came about through necessity, but there had to be some bass drum player out there that sent an angry letter to WFL (or whoever invented the thing) for making his job obsolete.

I find it interesting too, because the advent of sampling and electronic production also came out of necessity. For many musicians, it just isn't realistic to hire a drummer to help aid in the creative process.I find this true with Hip-hop more than anything. Example, Biggie Smalls: it was his rhyme schemes, spontaneous lyrical flow/content, vocal inflection, and attitude that sold records. He could have rapped over someone clapping their hands on 2 and 4 and it likely would have sold records. And with sampling, his producer/dj could get a groovy enough backing track ready for him at 3 in the morning while the studio guys were at home asleep. Why spend thousands of dollars (especially early on) and bankrupt yourself when you can get the same point across without all the trouble?

This is maybe a weird parallel to draw but it had me thinking a bit.

KamaK

Platinum Member
There's always been an element of "Terkerder" regardless of the industry. Player-piano's probably have the greatest precedent in terms of the music industry legal wrangling. In other industries, it's been robotic automation and offshoring. Imagine having to train an H1B to play all of your parts so that you can get laid off.

Otto

Platinum Member
I think I'll write an app that observes musical performance...that way we can retire the need for an audience...unless you are simply trying to make money....then an audience might be nice.

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I think I'll write an app that observes musical performance...that way we can retire the need for an audience...unless you are simply trying to make money....then an audience might be nice.
How about an app that automatically sends you shakey, grainy, crowd noise ridden, and distorted videos of the show so you don't have to hold up your device for 30 minutesl like a complete douche.