The acrobatic image of drumming

Anon La Ply

Renegade
It's funny how drummers have this acrobatic image - twirls, tosses, crossovers, cymbal catches, triplets and quads. More than other instruments, I'd say.

Just throwing it out there ...

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I've been meaning to revisit but I can't remember the guys name.. He does flips on his drum stool among other stick tricks.

aydee

Platinum Member

Right now, I'm cracking myself up imagining Thomas Lang, Ronald Bruner or Mike Mangini showing up at the Tavern in Liverpool to audition for the Beatles in the late 50s... THAT would have been interesting!

The physical and technical aspect of drumming have obviously evolved. Maybe guitar playing too. Was having a convo with a guitar player on exactly this subject the other day. He felt electric guitar technique really catapulted after Van Halen. Everything before him was ho-hum.

Technique-wise, Blackmore, Gilmore, Rory Gallegher, Jimmy Page, and certainly Clapton werent a patch on Van Halen. So naturally I asked about jeff Beck- to which he said Jeff's magic came later, when he stopped playing with a pick and started using his talcum powdered fingers instead. : )

Arky

Platinum Member
aydee,
there was a lot going on in the guitar department way before Van Halen - check this out. Italian guy, 1965 - technique-wise what he's demonstrating in this video is still valid and considered super high level even today. At that time it was simply mind blowing.

The demonstrations start from about 1 minute into the video. And he's doing this on a classical guitar - not even an acoustic one (steel strings) or an electric where many techniques are considerably easier to (literally) pull off... Most of the flashy stuff in that vid is what Van Halen has never done - and many guitar heroes either. Towards the end of that vid he's also simulating a double bass (non-drum context) with his right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmTQYquqxSY

eclipseownzu

Gold Member
I would say that Pete Townsend was the most acrobatic guitarist I have ever seen. He would just beat the shit out of himself (and his gear) every night. The popularity of the shoegaze stage presence has made live music far more boring.

But I guess trying to keep up with Keith Moon will do that to you.

FoolInTheRain

For a while there all the guitarists in the emo/screamo/hardcore/whatever bands were twirling their guitars around their bodies before every chorus.

aydee

Platinum Member
aydee,
there was a lot going on in the guitar department way before Van Halen - check this out. Italian guy, 1965 - technique-wise what he's demonstrating in this video is still valid and considered super high level even today. At that time it was simply mind blowing.

The demonstrations start from about 1 minute into the video. And he's doing this on a classical guitar - not even an acoustic one (steel strings) or an electric where many techniques are considerably easier to (literally) pull off... Most of the flashy stuff in that vid is what Van Halen has never done - and many guitar heroes either. Towards the end of that vid he's also simulating a double bass (non-drum context) with his right hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmTQYquqxSY
That was pretty mind-blowing, Ark!

I guess like Vittorio, there were others, like Andre Segovia, many of the great Flamenco players, Django Rienhardt, Chet Atkins etc etc but what I think my friend was trying to say was in the context of the electric guitar revolution.

Hendrix was perhaps the one in my opinion who changed the way it was played and the way it sounded - It almost stopped becoming a guitar and a whole lot of other techniques came into play. Never heard much Halen myself, but he seems to be a landmark guy for the Guitar hero types : )

PS-Townsend was pretty acrobatic with that arm twirl ( somethng he picked up from Keith Richards, btw ) but he was trying to make a visually artistic statement in that instance, not a musical one.

8Mile

Platinum Member
It's a pretty physical instrument. Having the legs play such a physical role in things makes it one of the more demanding instruments to play from an endurance standpoint. Blowing into a wind instrument presents its own challenges, too.

On an unrelated note, question for Aydee: Why do you put ellipses above and below your posts?

aydee

Platinum Member
On an unrelated note, question for Aydee: Why do you put ellipses above and below your posts?
!!!!!!

Good question! I didnt realize I did that!!

Lets see, maybe it gives me a sense of balance.. a subconcious need to be Zorro-like, a telltale signature.. perhaps it helps accelerate and deccelerate my thoughts. Or maybe I see my posts as a work of art and find an artistic need within myself to frame them.. I dont know..

boy, you've got me going now..

!!!!

8Mile

Platinum Member
!!!!!!

Good question! I didnt realize I did that!!

Lets see, maybe it gives me a sense of balance.. a subconcious need to be Zorro-like, a telltale signature.. perhaps it helps accelerate and deccelerate my thoughts. Or maybe I see my posts as a work of art and find an artistic need within myself to frame them.. I dont know..

boy, you've got me going now..

!!!!

groove1

Silver Member
I grew up with 3 sisters and they always told me that when they went out to hear/see/dance
to live music, they always liked watching the drummer. I've heard a lot of people say that over the decades. I think there is "a bit of drummer" in everyone. Maybe it's because of the heart beat. It makes sense that the flashier someone can perform without compromising
the music at hand is a bonus. I have no flash, but always wanted some!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
True, some guitarists get in on the acrobatic act, not to mention dancing frontpersons. Come to think of it, acrobatics is in vogue, in keeping with the current generations' taste for the spectacular. I guess drummers have to do something that machines can't do.

I can just about do a stick twirl. I always saw drum acrobatics as a facet of male display behaviour, being less graceful than stereotypically feminine equivalent display behaviour like overblown melisma singing (XXX Has Got Talent) and modern dance. Broadly speaking.

8, I always thought Aydee added the ellipses to create space around his post, making reading more clear. Kurt Vonnegut would have approved. He figured it was hard enough for people to make sense of little black symbols on a page and to convert them into ideas so it made sense to make your writing easy to read.

Normally, you can tell if someone thinks about ease of reading by the way they use whitespace, usually with paragraphs. It's more or less the same concept as leaving space in a drum part - to give the brain a breather.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
I remember a ZZ Top video where the boys had their guitars strapped on with some belt around the waist, that would allow them to spin the guitars like hands on a clock around their bellies. Beyond that not to may guitar tricks. Maybe playing behind the head or with the teeth.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
It's funny how drummers have this acrobatic image - twirls, tosses, crossovers, cymbal catches, triplets and quads. More than other instruments, I'd say.

Just throwing it out there ...
Did you went to the masterclass with Robyn Guy at the LDS? ... David and I did, we had a great time, this guy (no pun intended) is funny, but he can groove like hell :)

Here's a little clip, he doesn't do much twirling, but you'll get the vibe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLakvXUwrc

Also, check the lady in this clip... :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG6Wf8HY-iA&feature=youtu.be&hd=1