The 8" Tom

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Rolling down (or up) the toms from 8" to 16" sounds awesome. I have a blues song I play that usually just need a snare roll to fill the space and I found by just screwing around one day that a quick roll down the toms - again, 8 to 16 - really complimented the music. It is, however the only blues tune that I do that in.

Autopilot

The toms on both of my kits are 8, 10, 12, 14, 16. I just ordered the 8 for my oak customs a few months ago when I heard they weren't going to be making them anymore. When tuned correctly I think they sound great. Its all a matter of opinion though.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Is an 8" tom worth adding on to one's drum kit? I have a typical 20/14/12/10 kit (Yamaha) and am thinking about ordering an add-on drum before the end of June / end of Yamaha deadline for current kits. With this kind of kit setup, is an 8" tom worth it--or would a 9x13 be a better option?

It seems like we can always tune a 10" tom up high, and thus a 10/12/13 series of toms could be more versatile. The 8" tom does not have as much tuning range, no?

If you had a 16 FT it'd be a no brainer. The 8 is great (best I've heard is YAMAHA OAK CUSTOM), tho I'd much rather have a 13 to work with. 10-13 is a rocking spread, best with a 16 FT tho.

You're not going to be using 8-10-14 after you tire of setting up the 8 in the 10-12-14 line up. Unless you have a roadie, the 8 is one of those drums you can easily find an excuse to leave at home the night of the gig.

wizard sticks

Personally I think it depends on your style of playing. I love the sound of 8" toms but it wouldn't suit the music I am into.

If you like playing fills "from top to bottom", the 8" will add a dramatic effect. The hi-to-low thing can sound exciting and dramatic in the right musical context. (Phil Collins was a master at this.) But if you did that in a jazz or funk setting it would sound a bit annoying!

BGH

Gold Member
I was recently playing around with one of my kits and how I had it set-up. I tried having an 8 and 10 as my '2 up' and 13 and 14 as my '2 down,' a la how Dave Weckl used to do it back in the day. I love this configuration and it made me think of this thread. If you want to see how Weckl fully integrated an 8 into his kit, check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPiAWfprCzI

alparrott

Platinum Member
I've had my 8" tom on and off my drums for the last few years, but this year I decided to throw it back on there in the 3-up, 2-down config again. Where I'm running G2s over G1s on the rest of the toms, I have an old foil-ring EC2 on the 8" tom for a batter, except I've peeled off the foil ring. It sounds throaty and full.

Most 8" toms have 5 lugs, which can cause brain cramping during tuning. I used to play a PDP kit with an 8" tom that simply couldn't sound good no matter what I did to it. So your results may, in fact, vary.

On the flip side, I have never cared for 13" toms. Either the 12" has to be tuned a scoche too high and boingy, or the 13" gets tuned low and flappy. I'm much happier running even sizes all the way down the line.

BGH

Gold Member
On the flip side, I have never cared for 13" toms. Either the 12" has to be tuned a scoche too high and boingy, or the 13" gets tuned low and flappy. I'm much happier running even sizes all the way down the line.
Yeah, I agree. Which is why I never go 12 and 13. The 10 to 13 enables you to have the 13 tuned just right. Weckl went 8 10 13 15 22 with a custom 12x12 on the left with that kit. My other kits have even sizes. Just trying something different with this one. Variety is nice.