The 1 tune that defines death metal?

metal overlord

Gold Member
Because it's the stupid kids who walk around in Slayer shirts at school who are bombing their classes and are constantly put in the principle's office. I guess that's what the world views the metalheads of today as.
I were my bands shirts proudly (mostly) everyday out of work.
But I was never "that" kid during school, or school now.

I dont bomb classes because I know if I don't make it big I need something to fall back on.
I mean, sometime I can get pissed beyond pissed, but normally...I try to avoid that.

J

jay norem

I mean, sometime I can get pissed beyond pissed, but normally...I try to avoid that.
Okay, M.O. now we're talking. What do you get pissed off about? Seems to me that this is what you need to be writing lyrics about, not stuffing corpses into furnaces, see what I mean?

metal overlord

Gold Member
Okay, M.O. now we're talking. What do you get pissed off about? Seems to me that this is what you need to be writing lyrics about, not stuffing corpses into furnaces, see what I mean?

Well, I'm not much of a song writer lyric wise.

I get pissed at ignorant people, people who make fun of me (those people normally get a fist to the face though), racist people, people who think their better than anyone else...and so on.

But yea, I see what you mean.

J

jay norem

I get pissed at ignorant people, people who make fun of me (those people normally get a fist to the face though), racist people, people who think
Excellent. Don't put the fist to the face. Put the words on the paper! And put that crazy ass music you cats play to the lyrics!

metal overlord

Gold Member
Excellent. Don't put the fist to the face. Put the words on the paper! And put that crazy ass music you cats play to the lyrics!

THANK YOU!

I had just started to write lyrics for my very first orginal song that I wrote by myself, and I'm going to call it "Fist to the Face"! But...I don't have any clue what it should be about...

I just recently joined a new band (I've gone through 3 so far), and this ones the best.

I made rules for myself:
Like the music
Like the guys

these guys fit both, hopefully they'll like my song!

Anyway, I only hit people that push me too far. They deserve it.

J

jay norem

Anyway, I only hit people that push me too far. They deserve it.
So stop hitting people and start writing, my friend!
I'm sorry to say this, but hitting people is stupid.
How about metal music setting an example for non-violence? Can you imagine that? Take all that anger and channel it into something positive. And then, play the hell out of it!
You cats are smart enough to work up those remarkable blast-beats. So you're also smart enough to put a more positive message across. Imagine, say, The Beatles playing metal! Well, maybe that's going a bit too far. See, I'm an old guy.

Last edited:

Tutin

Pioneer Member
So stop hitting people and start writing, my friend!
I'm sorry to say this, but hitting people is stupid.
How about metal music setting an example for non-violence? Can you imagine that? Take all that anger and channel it into something positive. And then, play the hell out of it!
You cats are smart enough to work up those remarkable blast-beats. So you're also smart enough to put a more positive message across. Imagine, say, The Beatles playing metal! Well, maybe that's going a bit too far. See, I'm an old guy.
Hitting people isn't stupid. People driving you to hitting them is stupid. I'm not advocating violence, just saying that no matter how hard you try to keep your cool, there'll be a point where you can be driven to use it.

But yes, you can totally use stuff like this positively. Here's a good example from my man Dez.

http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=3530822107858496602

metal overlord

Gold Member
There are a few songs about positive stuff, and their all pretty good.

But, Tutin is right. People can keep their cool, but if they push you to the breaking point, it's hard to keep cool.

Anyway, how would you write a "positive" metal song?
Thats the point of metal, anger, hatred. Positive metal would be wierd (but maybe, premote non-violence?).

m1ck

You guys all seem very positive and quite serious about the music, and I do appreciate your contributions to this thread.
Question: why do you think that a lot of people who know nothing about this kind of music have the image of it being stupid and violent and mainly played by dumb-ass mouth-breathing morons? Of course I understand why someone would find those "Rancid Amputation" lyrics offensive, but I don't think that this band is advocating a hellish scenario like that taking place in the local shopping mall.
I think these bands know their audience and find mischievous humor in offending everyone else. I suspect that murphinelli's response, above, is exactly what they were hoping to provoke with the Rancid lyrics.

And really, the sound of extreme metal IS primal, raw and dark. It carries an intense energy that a lot of people just don't feel or respond to, and the guys that play it know this better than anyone. It's a subculture of people with the "Highway to Hell" mentality; they understand each other and as for the people who don't - the more offended they are, the better. So in a sense - to answer your question - the image they have is of their own making.

Also, it seems to me that the musicianship displayed in death metal, at least on a technical level, far surpasses that of the ability of the guys who play in, for example, Coldplay, a band that I find sickening to the extreme.
It's cool that you're open-minded enough to acknowledge this, regardless of whether you actually "get it" - and no one expects you to, if you don't. But you are right - metal in all it's incarnations can be highly demanding of musicianship. Some of the most legendary guitarists and drummers have sprung out of the metal scene. Critics say "it's just noise" - but try to play it like the pros. It's hard.

Grip Inc. - Curse of the Cloth (groove metal, with Dave Lombardo on drums)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfvHBeBSM24

And yes, a lot of popular music is insipid.

aruration

There are a few songs about positive stuff, and their all pretty good.

But, Tutin is right. People can keep their cool, but if they push you to the breaking point, it's hard to keep cool.

Anyway, how would you write a "positive" metal song?
Thats the point of metal, anger, hatred. Positive metal would be wierd (but maybe, premote non-violence?).
Why dude? It doesn't have to be always about a hatred song
For example Gojira, as schist said previously their songs are "envirometal friendly".
Is anything about saving the enviroment not positive?

Last edited:

metal overlord

Gold Member
Why dude? It doesn't have to be always about a hatred song
For example Gojira, as schist said previously their songs are "envirometal friendly".
Is anything about saving the enviroment not positive?
Well, I probably could write positive stuff, but i've been stuck on the "hate" train for a while.
You can't really teach an old og new tricks. It's like if Dimmu Borgir started writing about how wonderful and great god is. It wouldn't be right or fitting for me.

I will give it a try though, just to see how it might work out.

Tamascb10

Theres this band called Through The Eyes of The Dead, they're basically a Cannibal Corpse ripoff, but they definetly ARE death metal.

aruration

Well, I probably could write positive stuff, but i've been stuck on the "hate" train for a while.
You can't really teach an old og new tricks. It's like if Dimmu Borgir started writing about how wonderful and great god is. It wouldn't be right or fitting for me.

I will give it a try though, just to see how it might work out.
Yeah that's true.

Anyway, let us know how it'll turn out.