Thank You Technology

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Been thinking about technology and music a lot lately. Autotune, samples, triggers, perfect tempo and songs, electronic sounds as instruments, YT, Pandora, basically everything that has moved the industry to where it is today, the things lots of us don't like. I was on the fence about that last part but have made up my mind. I'm all for it, and here is why.

Until about 100 years ago or so, music was somewhat scarce if you will. It was a specialty product, produced by minimum number of individuals. If you wanted to listen to music, you either had to go somewhere to hear it, be at the right place at the right time, or be rich enough to have people play for you. You had no choice of what to hear, and whether or not you liked what you heard is a whole nother story. Music was exchanged on paper. It was a meticulous, long process to create music. If you couldn't read music, or have an instrument, no music for you! Finding a teacher was probably as difficult as finding blinker fluid.

In the early 1900s this all changed with the invention of the common radio as we know it. As broadcast stations were created to send signal to the radio, music could become more available. They were a staple in homes, people would gather round the radio and just listen. They started to make their way into cars, and now even watches can play music. It's everywhere, you really can't escape music. This is fabulous, thank you technology.

So I say to technology, keep on keeping on. Fix off key singers, plug in that one missing note, align kick drum hits to a grid. I don't care how you do it, just keep making it easier for everyone to make music. I say the more the better. My ears will be the judge, not my mind. We are at a point in time where we are saturated with music, and this is a good thing. Why? Because I don't want to try to plug in and listen to a piece of paper.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Thanks to tech, I can write, record, mix & distribute for a fraction of the cost that it used to be. I'm no pro engineer and don't aspire to be, but being able to write & record is a reward unto itself.

Jbravo

Good post. I never really thought about it in a yea or nay way, but now that my drum gear is where I’ve always wanted it, I’m going to be adding to my PA gear, and buying some recording gear.

I’m able to play or sing anything I need except good guitar solos, and I know people to help out there. So I’m planning on writing again, which I haven’t done in many years.

I don’t have any “Star” illusions at 55, but I enjoy the process, and it’s possible to do it at reasonable cost with the technology available today.

K Chez

I guess I'm a traditionalist, because I think if you have to rely on technology to sing in key, play the right notes or stay in time, then you should do either two things-learn to play your friggin' instrument or sell your stuff and get a job cutting lawns. "Making it easier to make music" is why there's so much shit music out there - talent, dedication, passion and a lot of work honing your craft is what creates good music, not the latest plug in. Make it harder, and you'll weed out the chumps and the quality will go up.

trickg

Silver Member
I guess I'm a traditionalist, because I think if you have to rely on technology to sing in key, play the right notes or stay in time, then you should do either two things-learn to play your friggin' instrument or sell your stuff and get a job cutting lawns. "Making it easier to make music" is why there's so much shit music out there - talent, dedication, passion and a lot of work honing your craft is what creates good music, not the latest plug in. Make it harder, and you'll weed out the chumps and the quality will go up.
There is also a lot of really really good music out there, much of it going unnoticed, because it's happening in the indie scene, and it isn't getting any kind of mainstream play - there are still those who wield the power to keep anything that doesn't go through them off of the airwaves of mainstream radio.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I love technology too-for music, art, about all means of communication it has advanced us. It was great in science because gels and immuoblots often may have a nuisance artifact that now you can easily erase (but that also offers you can just generate data out of nowhere too). My hearing aids now are much closer to reality I hope-least they aren't so tinny. But I also argue just use it "wisely". Same for "biotechnology". In many ways both are two-edged swords-so we need to make sure they "cut" in positive ways. I think sometimes people don't think long term implications for misuse like the promise of clean power with nuclear power plants and then nuclear bombs. I find it interesting the difference between listening live to music produced in analog by a piano, drum, stand up bass and then recording and digitizing said music to produce a copy of the original analog. What you hear live and what may be produced by ten different producers recording and making the final product can be remarkable different in subtle and huge ways. It's like taking photographs has an artistry, then going into the dark room was another layer of artistry. You can produce images like reality and some even better. Seems music has layers too-like an onion. Stop I'm making me cry.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Technology is good...for the most part. Some of it, such as auto-tune, I could live without and be happier. Availability of music is great. Peace and goodwill.

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
Technology is good...for the most part. Some of it, such as auto-tune, I could live without and be happier. Availability of music is great. Peace and goodwill.
Totally agree, and this is coming from someone who did digital recording and software development since the 90's.

Right now, I prefer to use less tech. When I just recorded with my band (Metal) recently - there were no triggers or sound replacements, no punch-ins, and no click track either! It's not perfect and that makes it alive. I think people in the Metal realm are getting tired of hearing obviously programmed drum tracks or perfect machine drumming.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
You really think making it harder will weed out the chumps? Have you seen the younger generation today? Make it harder and no one will do it anymore. Music will die, minus the spoon fed radio crap. And guess what, most of that is tech based music written by a handful of people.

You don't have to be able to play anymore to be able to write. Whether or not it's good is up to the listener. After all that's what music is for, listening. If how it is made is a reason for dismissal, you are missing the point of music itself.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Technology is just tools. Having tools is cool. However people use said tools is up to them. So don’t blame them. I know so many pros with technology when I hear what they do with it as opposed to what I do with it, I feel like I should just give up. I think this really counters all the “stuff we don’t like”.

cbphoto

Gold Member
This week the tools used were the Virtual Guitar bundle and Virtual Bass bundle from ujam, along with the usual gear (kit, mics, computer, etc.). I was able to easily make a simple riff to play drums along to. A great way to learn basic music & song structure, too!

https://soundcloud.com/cbphoto2002/fx-26

Please excuse the flubs on the fills. I'm trying a new layout to my kit using a cable-hat and am winging it when playing a fill.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Nice tune, CBphoto. Sounds good.

I'm divided on technology. Sometimes I think it helps, other times it gets in the way.

WallyY

Platinum Member
This week the tools used were the Virtual Guitar bundle and Virtual Bass bundle from ujam, along with the usual gear (kit, mics, computer, etc.). I was able to easily make a simple riff to play drums along to. A great way to learn basic music & song structure, too!
That's awesome!
Last week I bought Toontrack Ezkeys and have been working up an idea for a composition. It's very simple, but the program needs more functionality, like cut and paste. It works well for writing parts, but when dropping it into the daw, it loses the naming of chords. I have to write them down before I import them or I lose my train of thought.
I didn't know there was another type of program that works with guitars too. That's next on my list!

Gottliver

I like tech. I like my Zoom H1 and Q2N. I like my mylar drum heads and quality hardware. I love my compact and light weight 600 watt Yamaha portable PA. But I disagree with the premise that technology makes music more accessible. It certainly makes recording it more accessible but not playing or listening to it. Fact is since cro-magnons were banging back beats on sticks and minstrels were playing on ouds and various string instruments in public squares, pubs, living rooms and courtyards, music has been accessible. Mothers have been singing to their babies since the dawn of time.