Temporary fix for blisters

Jon B

Hi all! I need to know a simple, easy way to make it so my blisters dont hurt too bad, or to make it easier to drum with them for my drum practice this upcoming week. I have no clue how i got these two, ive used this technique for a long time with no problems and the same size of stick too, and ive never gotten blisters here before. (middle segment of ring and middle finger) Im not too concerned about the technique, as this is the first time it has happened in almost a year, i just need a fix so i can play for 3 or so hours.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Super Glue!! Just leave it out of open wounds.
AND, don't pick up your sticks for a few minutes after application!
I've done this before when my fingers are really swollen and my wedding ring causes a blister after playing for a long time.

It's definitely not good for your skin, but it will do in a pinch.

I've heard that there is a Band Aid brand product that is like super glue. Try that.

johnnyeatdrums

I've done this before when my fingers are really swollen and my wedding ring causes a blister after playing for a long time.

It's definitely not good for your skin, but it will do in a pinch.

I've heard that there is a Band Aid brand product that is like super glue. Try that.
Liquid Band Aid!!! I almost forgot about that stuff, I think it is called "New Skin".

fixxxer

Tape 'em up! If they are big blisters, pin prick them to get the liquid out (do not pop) and then tape 'em.
My 2 cents.......

scarlit

Silver Member
Band aid/tape the blisters. Get gloves so you can keep drumming, and use tennis grip on your sticks. I pop the blister and peel the skin off as soon as possible so it can heal quicker.

I've had issues with blisters on and off, on my right hand alone there are 12 different spots/caluses where I've had blisters from drumming, so I know the pain all too well.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Liquid Band Aid!!! I almost forgot about that stuff, I think it is called "New Skin".
I use this stuff. It is hands down the best, and some brands include a painkiller to numb down the sting of the open blister. Spend the money and use it; it'll be like it never happened.

Soupy

Silver Member
I pop the blister and peel the skin off as soon as possible so it can heal quicker.
That's likely to make it take longer to heal and opens you up to significantly greater risk for infection. You shouldn't ever pop a blister.

Standard first aid for blisters is to use a piece of moleskin with a hole cut in the center. Moleskin is thick and soft and keeps pressure and friction off of the blister.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
I pop the blister and peel the skin off as soon as possible so it can heal quicker.
That is the complete opposite of everything I've ever heard about blisters. As far as I know, this will cause it to heal much slower, and you also leave it much more vulnerable to small infections.

scarlit

Silver Member
Never had any infections. Popping it and peeling the skin helps it calus up quicker. Altho I do have 20 caluses between my right and left hands now. Heh

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Super Glue!! Just leave it out of open wounds.
AND, don't pick up your sticks for a few minutes after application!
I read somewhere that super glue was originally designed as a battlefield wound closer during one of the world wars... Thought that was interesting.

Incidentally, the key to not getting blisters is keeping your hands as dry as possible. When wet skin rubs against something else, it will create those nasty bubble blisters.

I pop mine as soon as I can, as thats usually what happens to mine anyway. I also try to tear off the loose skin after a couple of days after its popped.

TNA

If you have been playing for a year and are suddenly getting blisters I would look at why it is happening and try to prevent it. Are you gripping the sticks any tighter or looser than usual? Are you sweating more? Are your hands dry?