Technique or pedal?

KR3

A friend of mine asked me to learn a song by STP titled Plush. Easy enough, seems pretty straight forward. Put on the song to play along and noticed that I was having a somewhat diffucult time doing some basic doubles on the kick. I stopped playing and removed myself from the kit and started to play the song in my head and tapped along using my hands and foot. My playing goes smoothly. I'm able to keep time and do the doubles with no problem. So my question is, is it the pedal or me? How am I able to play the song using just my hands and foot perfectly and behind the kit I can't keep it together?

I use a Pearl P902 pedal and I tried playing the song using my right foot and no problem there. I'm lefty. Go figure...

Sometimes the drums drive me nuts! Please help.

Tim Waterson

WFD ACEDRUMMER
A friend of mine asked me to learn a song by STP titled Plush. Easy enough, seems pretty straight forward. Put on the song to play along and noticed that I was having a somewhat diffucult time doing some basic doubles on the kick. I stopped playing and removed myself from the kit and started to play the song in my head and tapped along using my hands and foot. My playing goes smoothly. I'm able to keep time and do the doubles with no problem. So my question is, is it the pedal or me? How am I able to play the song using just my hands and foot perfectly and behind the kit I can't keep it together?

I use a Pearl P902 pedal and I tried playing the song using my right foot and no problem there. I'm lefty. Go figure...

Sometimes the drums drive me nuts! Please help.
try readjusting the spring tension so it feels natural
if you can tap the pattern on the floor you should be able to play it on the pedal.
tim

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
If the pedal is clean, well maintained, not broken or malfunctioning and in otherwise good working order, then I'm calling it as you (whether you play heel up or heel down.......nothing to do with your problem at all IMO).

Slow it down and keep working on it until you get it. Just keep practicing the doubles on your pedal mate, don't worry too much about what you can or can't do by tapping on the floor. Practice the same way as you'd play.......it really is the only way. Too easy to blame our gear when we struggle to get something down.

Remember the old saying.......it's the Indian, not the arrow.

Last edited:

Dedworx

If the pedal is clean, well maintained, not broken or malfunctioning and in otherwise good working order, then I'm calling it as you (whether you play heel up or heel down.......nothing to do with your problem at all IMO).

Slow it down and keep working on it until you get it. Just keep practicing the doubles on your pedal mate, don't worry too much about what you can or can't do by tapping on the floor. Practice the same way as you'd play.......it really is the only way. Too easy to blame our gear when we struggle to get something down.

Remember the old saying.......it's the Indian, not the arrow.
i totally agree with this.
i think you should use a metranome and play the patterns you're having trouble with at VERY slow tempos(like 40 bpm). you can use patterns similar to the original idea aswell, it will all help.

spend several minutes playing your ideas without stopping, and using the same bpm. then gradually raise it by 4 bpm until you hit the "it doesnt sound or feel good anymore" wall. when that happens go all the way back to the slowest tempo.

if you do this over a period of time, not just in a session, or a day, and with any other grooves you're working on, you'll develop clean execution of the things you want to play. unfortunately there are no short cuts, just stay positive in your mind and in time you will get there.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Drums are a very tactile instrument, and there are many variables that can account for a good feel and response, or detract from it. That means, if the drums feel good and sound a certain way, it's easy & natural to play the particular style. What that means is, you can't play Led Zeppelin on a bop kit.

So, this may not be an issue with your foot or the pedal, it may very well be how the kick is tuned and damped, and what size it is. For example, an 18x26 kick with a loose head and no damping is going to be tough to get a good doubles response at a reasonable tempo.

Exactly what kick size, tuning and damping do you have? That would be my first step towards solving the problem, as it may also help the drum sound better for the music you're playing.

Bermuda