Technical Boredom

BassDriver

Silver Member
Working on technique along to metronome is BORING...especially if your working on the Mangini practice method of playing a pattern continously for 90 minutes at slow tempo four times a week to improve that pattern...(I'm not actually working on that practice routine, just using an example)...

...so what does anyone do to keep their wits during such exercises?

Last edited:

Arrold

Think of where I'll be in the future if I don't do the practice.
Agreed with this, sort of. I think of where I WILL be after I do the practice. In fact, the thought is so inspiring that I don't get bored at all. Sometimes I lose focus, but I manage to get my head back in the game pretty quickly.

I also like to reward myself with a long session of improv doodling or jamming to a couple songs. It's always incredibly refreshing after a long technical practice with that damn metronome ticking away in my ears.

gusty

Platinum Member
Agreed with this, sort of. I think of where I WILL be after I do the practice. In fact, the thought is so inspiring that I don't get bored at all. Sometimes I lose focus, but I manage to get my head back in the game pretty quickly.

I also like to reward myself with a long session of improv doodling or jamming to a couple songs. It's always incredibly refreshing after a long technical practice with that damn metronome ticking away in my ears.
I guess I think of where I won't be to kick myself into practice, then to keep going think of where I will be.