Teaching a Mind-Bogglingly Complex Rhythm System

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Fremont professor moves to beat of ancient drum
By Chris De Benedetti The Argus
Posted: 09/06/2014 02:33:50 PM PDT0 Comments

http://youtu.be/NGCeTVcUS0A
Mridangam Rhythm Exercise with Dr. Rohan Krishnamurthy

Rohan Krishnamurthy, Ohlone College's newest music professor, is an acclaimed performer who specializes in mridangam, an ancient and still-popular Indian percussion instrument.

His fascination with mridangam (mree-DAHNG-guhm) grew with age. The drum is usually made from a hollowed piece of wood whose two ends are covered with a goatskin. Percussionists tap both ends of the congalike instrument with specific fingers to create several layers of sounds.

"It's an incredibly versatile instrument where you get a drum set's worth of sounds from one drum," he said. "Its rhythm system is mind-bogglingly complex."

Late last month he began teaching music theory courses at Ohlone's Fremont campus, where he also offers a percussion ensemble class Thursday nights, giving students a chance to jam with him and classmates.

aid Alex Quick, a Fremont percussionist in the ensemble class. "If I'm able play mridangam and bring it over to a regular drum set, then I can play a style that most Fremont drummers can't, and I can make more money."

Full Story

Scott K Fish: Life Beyond the Cymbals

KamaK

Platinum Member
Did anyone else watch that video, and simply hear quarter, 8th, and 16th note triplets? I'm sure the gent's ability is far beyond what I'll ever achieve, but the video appeared to be demonstrating a subdivision that's pretty common in all musical styles.