Taye Studio Maple

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi Drummers, I picked up a used set of Taye Studio Maple drums. Set consists of 20,12,14 I plan on using this kit for most outdoor gigs and saving my Yamaha Hybrid Maple kit for certain gigs that keep it safe from the elements. Reason I grabbed the Taye is the price was right, the kit has some life scars. I also have a Taye Pro X bop kit which really surprised me with how good it sounds and I hear the studio maple sound real nice. Any of you play these drums?

Last edited:

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have a Studio Maple snare and owned a Pro X set a few years back and loved the set

CompactDrums

Silver Member
Hi Drummers, I picked up a used set of Taye Studio Maple drums. Set consists of 20,12,14 I plan on using this kit for most outdoor gigs and saving my Yamaha Hybrid Maple kit for certain gigs that keep it safe from the elements. Reason I grabbed the Taye is the price was right, the kit has some life scars. I also have a Taye Pro X bop kit which really surprised me with how good it sounds and I hear the studio maple sound real nice. Any of you play these drums?
I've had the StudioMaple Bop kit... Best sounding bass drum I ever owned...

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Is Taye still making drums these days? I haven’t heard from them in a while. They were supposed to be an offshoot of Ayotte or something right? The couple kits I played never sounded anything close to me, but they still sounded like great mid-level drums.

Hope your new kit treats you well.

-Jonathan

john gerrard

I've played just about every major brand except for Sonor. I've had to the best of my memory over 25 pro level kits, and right now I'm playing a Taye Pro-X that I've had for about 6 years. To date the Taye have been my favorite drums. Their build quality is way above their price point. Their sound is as good as any I have had-------Yamaha,Ludwig,Premier,Mapex, etc. Yes I've tried many and these Taye either surpass the others or are just as good. IMHO

RickP

Gold Member
Is Taye still making drums these days? I haven’t heard from them in a while. They were supposed to be an offshoot of Ayotte or something right? The couple kits I played never sounded anything close to me, but they still sounded like great mid-level drums.

Hope your new kit treats you well.

-Jonathan

Ayotte the drum company had their Drumsmith line made by Taye when Ray Ayotte was still the owner. When Ray Ayotte left Ayotte Drums he was consulting with Taye . That relationship only lasted a few years. He now has his own boutique Company called Raya Drums.

Taye has pretty much gone underground. Todd Trent ( former Ludwig A&R employee and owner of the sadly out of business Ontario Music) was heading up Taye USA but they closed their USA doors and let all their USA Taye staff go. Taye has almost no visibility in North America anymore.
I assume they are still subcontracting for other companies as that is what got them started in the Drum business.

Super Phil

StudioMaples are fantastic drums. Playing a set of those is what turned me on to Taye in the first place. I used StudioMaple drums almost exclusively for recording and touring for 3 or 4 years until i picked up a couple of other different Taye kits. (We're out right now, and i took a set of Taye TourPro drums for this run.)
Taye is still very much in business. They will be at NAMM, etc... always are. I'm not sure what they're doing regarding distribution and dealer network in the US, though, as that is outside the scope of my relationship with the company.
The set i have is Java Burst. What color did you get?

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Looks like a burgundy type gloss lacquer? Few dings here and there but I don't care as long as they get the job done. I didn't have the slide post so rather than mount off a stand which I hate I installed a Ludwig Atlas Arch, I also have a Pro X bop kit and that think sounds great too.taye maple1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

markdrum

Silver Member
I've got two of the StudioMaple 6" snares. One of them came with the Taye maples hoops and I fitted the other with some die cast hoops. They both sound great. I've got a decent collection of snares and these are two of my favorites. The Taye 6" aluminum snares are great as well.