Taye Solid Maple snare

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Just nabbed one of maybe a dozen Solid Maple shell snares from Ray Ayotte's days at Taye. This was carved from a log of North American Sugar Maple and is really lovely in person. Sounds great too!

It has Ray's signature inside, and the throw-off is still pat. pending, making this an early Specialty snare.

Bermuda

double_G

Silver Member
wow ! ridiculous...frame it or play it ever day. isn't that a certain rare variety of maple...looking it up...spalting ? the one where bugs bore thru it to make that striping ?

bermuda

Staff member
I guess it's slightly spalted, where age and fungi etc create lovely blems and figuring.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Very cool score. Good thing too, because I know how low you are on snare drums ;)

Personally, I don't think I'd like landing my rim shots around hoop claws. But the shell itself is cool. And a small part of history too.

But I have to ask...and correct me if I'm off, but I'm guessing you aren't going to gig this drum, so what will become of it? Played for a month at home then relegated to a storage unit which you no doubt must have to house your collection?

That sounded negative I know, but I don't mean it as such, I'm just curious. Everybody gets to do whatever they want to their gear, they earned it, that's part of the appeal, that control. Do you ever sell any of your gear?

You're like the Jay Leno of drums around here lol. It would be cool to have a place where they are all set up, your whole collection, all the time. A TV special on all your drums and their history would be cool.

bermuda

Staff member
I probably will play the drum in town now and then, although it probably is best suited for the studio for me. The claws aren't much of an issue rimshot-wise as long as I turn the drum a few inches one way or the other, and land my sticks consistently (which I do.) I gave it a good long workout behind a kit, and it wasn't an issue at all.

The sound is pretty focused when tuned up, and this drum wants to be tight. But I'm trying more moderate tunings to see what it'll really do for me.

Bermuda