Tama Tom Tuning

healdo

Hey guys/gals of the drumming community. Im having a little problem trying to get my toms to sound the way i want them and/or getting them all to descend equally. Pardon any jargon i use which you may not understand my drumming vocabulary isnt up to scratch :) Anyway.. I have a Tama Superstar Hyperdrive 6 piece kit and i got a new tom the other day making it a 7 piece.. 10x6.5, 12x7, 13x7.5, 14x12 and 16x14.

I like my toms fairly... low but whenever i try to tune them i either get them a little high or get them sounding like a wet fish off a wall. I try to tune both the batter and the ressonant head the same but i sorta fail drastically and they dont sound right, as if the bottom heads pushing the sound back up in a way.

So any tips will be helpfull especially people who have overcome this problem even with the same kit etc :) Again apologies if what i said isnt clear for you ill try my best next time to get the correct wording :)

Evans G2 coated on all batter heads and stock tama skins on ressonant.

jakester

the bottom should be tuned to the pitch of "c", for the top you will hand tight all the screws and then give a 2 whole turns and then half turns and if still not right try giving quarter turns and try loosing it also but the head should be just tight enough so you don't see the wrinkles in the head

A

audiotech

the bottom should be tuned to the pitch of "c", for the top you will hand tight all the screws and then give a 2 whole turns and then half turns and if still not right try giving quarter turns and try loosing it also but the head should be just tight enough so you don't see the wrinkles in the head
Is this the same exact procedure for every drum in the kit?

Dennis

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Is this the same exact procedure for every drum in the kit?

Dennis
I'm glad I'm not the only one left confused here.

OP, the process of tuning a kit doesn't change, regardless of the kit you own. Sure each drum may have little nuances that make it slightly different, but the overall process doesn't change.

Check the tuning threads here on DW (there are hundreds of them) and check out the Bob Gatzen tuning vids on youtube....they are excellent for seeing the big picture of how it's done. The finer details come down to your own ear....and much practice.

Mikecore

Silver Member
Smaller diameters=higher natural pitches. If you are looking to have a bunch of little bass drums here, you will need larger diameter drums. 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 is pretty midrange to high as far as their tuning range goes, and with that 13" in the mix, it will have to be slightly overcranked to distance the note from the 14", forcing your 12 and 10 even higher to compensate. Or...you end up undercranking the 14" and 16", getting us back into "fish-slapping" territory.

This is why some guys complain about odd-sized drums. Sticking them in between other drums with only an inch of difference either way makes tuning in thirds or fourths a bit of a challenge.

John Bonham had it right. 15", 16" and 18" toms tuned tight enough to bounce a spoonful of marmalade off of, yet their sheer size meant that the note they sounded was still quite low. They sounded pretty damn nice, too.