Tama Starphonic Copper

Freedom 7

I recently got a Starphonic Copper snare. I think it's pretty amazing. Just wondering if any one here has one or has any thoughts on them.

IBitePrettyHard

What model did you get?

I haven't played one, but they seem to be premium snares at a reasonable price. The hardware in particular is top of the line.

Snares of this quality from Ludwig or DW (especially with veneers like Mapa Burl) would easily cost $300+ more.

Freedom 7

I'm not sure of the model # but it's 7x14 with a copper shell. The thing's a real cannon with a really wide tuning range and all the good stuff. I'm very happy with it. I grew up in Gretsch and Rogers (still have my '71 Rogers) but nowadays I'm sold on Tama.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
I love Tama but have always been skeptical of the Starphonic hardware. How do you find it? I remember reading somewhere (when the line first came out) that the screws were just barely long enough to reach the lugs; which sounds like it'd make tuning a PITA.

Stoked for you though!

-Jonathan

KEEF

I have the 14 x 6 Aluminium. I've owned drums at 3 x the price but I'd go so far as to say it's the best snare I've ever had.

Freedom 7

I agree with Keef. I've tried tuning high, low and everything in between with no problems. I think the hardware is first class and bombproof. In fact I think all Tama hardware is outstanding. It's a great drum.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I almost bought the copper starphonic at the sweetwater Gearfest, but opted for a new ride cymbal. It’s a fantastic sounding instrument. Tune it high, tune it low, it sounds great.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I have the Starphonic Bubinga. Great drum all around. Hardware is top notch. No issues whatsoever, but I keep gravitating towards metal snares, so it doesn’t get as much love as it should. The copper one. Now that will be one I’d definitely pick up, when I get a chance.

Freedom 7

AzHeat, you won't be sorry. I picked up an SLP bubinga on sale, also a great drum. I keep going between the two but the copper is definitely my favorite. I'm like you in that I favor metal. I also have a steel Gretsch and a Sakae brass. I gotta quit buying stuff.

markdrum

Silver Member
I just got one of the Starphonic copper snares and I couldn't be happier. Bronze and copper are my two favorite choices for metal drums and this one has been on the stand since I got it. Great tone and sustain. The tuning range is about as good as it gets. I don't know how it would do in a club setting but that's up to the person playing it I guess. I got one of the Bubingas last year and that's a real beauty as well. Tama is doing some great stuff these days.

Freedom 7

No I didn't. At one time I had a Ludwig Acrolite. Good drum. This time around I considered the Starphonic aluminum and a Ludwig 402, the copper just won out. I guess I like a little more ring. But I don't think you could go wrong with any of them as your only snare. As an aside for some reason I keep thinking the resurrected Acro's are overpriced. They came out back in the dark ages as a really low cost alternative for students. The new ones seem to be priced as alternatives to 402's, but they're kinda pricey themselves. That aside, they're good snares and good options if you want aluminum. Just my 2 cents.

Freedom 7

They both sounded great. Hard to tell on a video but the Starphonic seemed to have a bit more presence, or body, or something to it. You know what I mean. You are right to say the SLP is a good drum at a good price. The whole SLP line is pretty impressive.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I’m in love with the Star Reserve hammered copper snare. Ive only seen it via videos, but it sounds fantastic in every video I’ve seen.

The reserve is pricey though...I’ll check out the starphonic some more.

cbphoto

Gold Member
They both sounded great. Hard to tell on a video but the Starphonic seemed to have a bit more presence, or body, or something to it. You know what I mean.
I know what you mean.

To put it in terms that can be measured in some way, the Starphonic sound emits a range of lower harmonics, giving its sound “body”, “warmth”, “fatness”. Which is odd ‘cuz the Starphonic hoops add a very clear high-frequency harmonic to the drum’s sound (to any of the Starphonic drums, too). I figure this increase in lower harmonics (i.e., “body”) is due to the shell depth, or the aluminum (japanese-made vs. chinese-made), or both.

Speaking of the term “fatness”, when I first got my Starphonic aluminum, its tone really surprised me (it was my first-ever aluminum shell snare). So I tuned it “fat” and: