Tama SCP B/B's versus Mapex Saturns

Mike St.Clair

I wondered how much one of those set ups would cost. I already bought a pair of noise cancelling in ear monitors in preparation for playing with our last church. That would change everything. Then I would imagine I could play along with tracks mixed in and totally add another dimension.
I've had to lay off the situps until I get my back a little better off. Hopefully in a few weeks....

B

Bandit

That's what my PT is working on with me. Posture and exercises and movements to stretch those muscles that need to be and whatever other magic he can do. The other thing is my room is really a hvac room with no proper insulation and a concrete floor, so it's extremely loud and small. I hate playing with ear protection in, but it's a must after just a few minutes. Then they don't sound good.... :(
I put a diecast batter hoop on my batter of my DW 10&6 snare and it muted just a slight bit of the overtone and I love it.
Well I have a simple fix for you. Do what I do. Get yourself a simple little mixing board, a couple of mics to start with, and a good set of headphones. This way you can drum your brains out, with a nice mix in your headphones, and the volume you need, without hurting your ears.

P.S. Keep your stomach muscles strong. That really helps out your back!

Mike St.Clair

That's what my PT is working on with me. Posture and exercises and movements to stretch those muscles that need to be and whatever other magic he can do. The other thing is my room is really a hvac room with no proper insulation and a concrete floor, so it's extremely loud and small. I hate playing with ear protection in, but it's a must after just a few minutes. Then they don't sound good.... :(
I put a diecast batter hoop on my batter of my DW 10&6 snare and it muted just a slight bit of the overtone and I love it.

B

Bandit

Who said anything about justification! :) I hope your back settles down so you can play again. I know when my back used to hurt, I really concentrated on my posture on the kit. Some Sunday mornings at church, I could barely walk, but if I was very careful how I sat, very upright, stomach strong, taking stress off of my back, I could make it through the service. Good Luck!

HMNY

Silver Member
That is a pretty big jump. I think the two kits will be different enough. The different woods, and triple flanged compared to diecast.
I have always wondered, what is the difference between triple flanged compared to diecast?

I assume die cast is stiffer, less able to flex? Or, is it to do with damping the sound?

Thanks

Mike St.Clair

I definitely can't justify owning two kits when I hardly ever play one. If anything, I'm just trying to hold on to something I used to be good at, hoping that by owning some drums, I'll play them again one day. My back has been giving me issues lately, which is only exaggerated when playing drums. Hopefully the PT I'm going through will "straighten" me out!

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I am actually in the process of buying a 2nd kit. main kit is a Maple/walnut saturn that sounds great but was thinking of getting a 2nd kit and have a chance to get a Nice 4 yr old Tama Sc B/B. I was thinking of getting a full Birch because I want it to be different from my Saturns. Do you think the B/B will be a big enough difference?

I am going to test drive em friday. Only thing I dont like about em is they are 10-12-16, The thought of going from 12 to 16 kind of worries me but I guess I will find out. he is asking $500 and they look beautiful.. Guess i should start a new thread.
Yes, they're very different kits. I have saturns and my old kit (which I now use live) is a sonor birch and maple s-class and they're very different despite both kits having maple. The birch decays faster and has more of a controlled sound.. The Tama b/b does something similar.

B

Bandit

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I never heard a bubinga kit but from what I hear it blends well with Birch and $500 for a used SCP B/B seems like a good price. So if I get it I will have 2 drum sets with 4 types of wood...pretty cool
Can never have enough kits. Everyone sounds a little different. For me different kits bring out different emotions when I play, that translate into different styles. I really found this when I first bought my e-kit years ago. Different patches really brought out the different styles.

N

nhzoso

That is a pretty big jump. I think the two kits will be different enough. The different woods, and triple flanged compared to diecast.
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I never heard a bubinga kit but from what I hear it blends well with Birch and $500 for a used SCP B/B seems like a good price. So if I get it I will have 2 drum sets with 4 types of wood...pretty cool

B

Bandit

I am actually in the process of buying a 2nd kit. main kit is a Maple/walnut saturn that sounds great but was thinking of getting a 2nd kit and have a chance to get a Nice 4 yr old Tama Sc B/B. I was thinking of getting a full Birch because I want it to be different from my Saturns. Do you think the B/B will be a big enough difference?

I am going to test drive em friday. Only thing I dont like about em is they are 10-12-16, The thought of going from 12 to 16 kind of worries me but I guess I will find out. he is asking $500 and they look beautiful.. Guess i should start a new thread.

N

nhzoso

Well the Saturns are more mellow and have alot more sustain from what I remember about playing the tamas. If you can, keep the saturns and get a birch kit in future because it's good to own both.

B

Bandit

Honestly, I wish I hadn't been so picky about the defects in the Tama's wrap. While the Saturns are great drums, the sound isn't what I'm looking for. I've had them for sale in Raleigh NC on Clist for a while now. Trying to score another set of B-stock B/B's, since that's the only way I can afford them. If I don't sell them soon, I'll probably give my Evans heads a try. I'm sure the Emad2 or Gmad would really make the same great difference they did on my Gretsch Catalinas and Tama SCP's.
Well you should of bought the Special edition ones, with the birch maybe! Sorry you don't dig them.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Well the Saturns are more mellow and have alot more sustain from what I remember about playing the tamas. If you can, keep the saturns and get a birch kit in future because it's good to own both.

Mike St.Clair

Honestly, I wish I hadn't been so picky about the defects in the Tama's wrap. While the Saturns are great drums, the sound isn't what I'm looking for. I've had them for sale in Raleigh NC on Clist for a while now. Trying to score another set of B-stock B/B's, since that's the only way I can afford them. If I don't sell them soon, I'll probably give my Evans heads a try. I'm sure the Emad2 or Gmad would really make the same great difference they did on my Gretsch Catalinas and Tama SCP's.

B

Bandit

Good catch Columbo I did not even see that : ).. BTW what kit is that on your Avatar?
What kit is that! Where have you been! :)
That is my 14 piece Saturn in Arctic White.
Not to be confused with my 13 Piece b/w Saturn in Yellow Ocher
Or my 11 piece b/w Saturn in Sienna Fade.
I guess you guessed that I like the Saturn better! :)

B

Bandit

I cannot believe this thread was left in such a state.. This is like having to wait till february to see what happens next on the Walking Dead : )

So what happened? Do you love the Tama's or did you trade them back in for the Saturns? BTW were the saturns you were comparing birch/walnut or maple/walnut?
Well judging by his signature, he had a happy ending! :)

N

nhzoso

Well, I didn't have them ship them until Monday as I'll be out of town, but I'm having 2nd feelings about it. I've always been intrigued by the Saturns and I'm leaning towards going with them today.......
Edit: Josh is the man at Dale's. I'm stickin (haha) with the B/B's. Josh slapped me to my senses about me getting hung up on them being wrapped. If for any reason I'm not happy, they'll work something out or I could always sell them as I have before. Should have them mid to late next week and I'll post pics!!
I cannot believe this thread was left in such a state.. This is like having to wait till february to see what happens next on the Walking Dead : )

So what happened? Do you love the Tama's or did you trade them back in for the Saturns? BTW were the saturns you were comparing birch/walnut or maple/walnut?

Mike St.Clair

Well, I didn't have them ship them until Monday as I'll be out of town, but I'm having 2nd feelings about it. I've always been intrigued by the Saturns and I'm leaning towards going with them today.......
Edit: Josh is the man at Dale's. I'm stickin (haha) with the B/B's. Josh slapped me to my senses about me getting hung up on them being wrapped. If for any reason I'm not happy, they'll work something out or I could always sell them as I have before. Should have them mid to late next week and I'll post pics!!

Last edited: