Tama Rockstar or Pearl Vision?

Cottontop

The new Rockstars have Superstar shells with Rockstar hardware. The Rockstars are well-built, sound great, and come with a good snare; not that nasty steel junk snare the Visions come with. I can't think of anything that makes the Visions better than the Rockstars, be it the cheap iso mounts and denting tubes or the pointless features like the different shell thicknesses.
uh... there arent any new rockstars. i dont know if you mean the imperialstars or the newER rockstars but... anyway...

The visions do have better shell construction being all birch and the different shell thicknesses actually do serve their purpose well.

Before you ask, yes i have played both. i play a rockstar about every weekday at my school and it sounds like garbage.

The visions sound better than the rockstars but i would take the superstars over both

Polymetrix1618

uh... there arent any new rockstars. i dont know if you mean the imperialstars or the newER rockstars but... anyway...

The visions do have better shell construction being all birch and the different shell thicknesses actually do serve their purpose well.

Before you ask, yes i have played both. i play a rockstar about every weekday at my school and it sounds like garbage.

The visions sound better than the rockstars but i would take the superstars over both
The old Rockstars were luaun. The new ones are birch/basswood. They're basically Superstars with Rockstar hardware.

Polymetrix1618

Owned Rockstars, played Visions. I kinda know what I'm saying here.

But seriously, expand your search a bit. Tama and Pearl make good kits, but there are other companies (as mentioned) that give you better product for the money. A lot of big companies tend to treat intermediate kits as a stepping stone, ie they knock off good features so you *have* to upgrade sometime down the road. Companies like Mapex give you the best product they can give at the pricepoint, as opposed to filling an advertisement slot.
I'd take a Mapex or Sonor mid-line kit over any other mid-line kit. Tama and Pearl aren't the only options, you're right.

nickdog670

i play a rockstar about every weekday at my school and it sounds like garbage.
Hmm, I play a rockstar every week at my school also and I think it is a great sounding kit. Its bass drum is like a cannon! The visions I tried sounded pretty good, but I like the rockstars (although, the visions just had stock heads). And the rockstars have had the same old logo Evans tom heads and an SP1 forever!

I'd recommend that you go on craigslist or ebay to look for deals on drum sets. I got a Sonor Force 3007 brand new off of ebay for $50 more than Sam Ash's price for the visions! Although, since most of the kits you listed are birch combos, I'd recommend the Force 2007. There always great deals on craigslist. Last week I saw a blue 4 piece vistalite for $400!

Polymetrix1618

The option I'd recommend is used Tamas. You can get a professional kit like a Granstar dirt cheap. They sound incredible. Superstars and Artstars are more expensive, but also nice. I'd rather own a professional kit from the 80's than an intermediate kit, that's for sure.

Ruzic99

Thanks guys

I was never even planning to get a brand new kit from a store anyway because thats just way too expensive, I've been looking on kijiji and it just depends on whether I find a good deal on a kit.

What do you guys think of mapex m birch and gretsch catalina kits? Anyone have experience with them? Would they last me a really long time?

dkerwood

Silver Member
OP, used is the way to go. Craigslist is your friend. If you give us a ballpark area where you are located, some of us can go online and see what we can track down in your neck of the woods.

I've not been impressed with the Pearl Vision or the Tama Rockstar kit. The school where I work has an old Masters Custom and a one year old Vision, and I play the MC when I am asked to play there. Heck, for the ensemble I direct, we pulled a really old Export out of the storage closet, gave it a tune, and I like THAT kit better than the nearly brand new Vision.

I also played with a drummer who owned a Rockstar and got to play on that kit quite a bit. Average quality, but certainly not an "own it for the rest of your life" kit.

Mapex M, however, could be a lifelong kit. The Gretsch Catalina series are also good quality kits (although their mounts get a little bouncy with larger toms).

Honestly, though, remember that there are guys who play their entire lives on Pearl Exports and still sound killer! The sound is way more in the heads, tuning, and hands than anywhere else. Get the best you can, and then PLAY! :)

Plissken

I own a Tama Starclassic, and a Pearl Vision. I've played on a Superstar set, and a Rockstar. Ive been playing 39 years, and I've played on most name brand kits. The Tama line in my humble opinion would definitely be the better choice. The Rockstars are not the best selling kit in history by mistake. They sound great for their price point, and I say their hardware is superior. Also, they have better re-sale value, when you decide to unload them, and move up.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I just started with a new band and unfortunately, they have a Vision kit in the studio. The Bass Drum sounds ok, but The toms sound like crap. I'm used to playing Tama Rockstars (older ones). The hardware is better on Rockstars, and in fact, on my new Ludwig Element Birch kit. I'll take my Ludwig kit any day over that Vision kit too. The Tamas and the Ludwigs just sound great all the time, even with old heads. Maybe I just need to tune those Visions up better, but I don't think it will help because it will go out of tune just as quick.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I own a Tama Starclassic, and a Pearl Vision. I've played on a Superstar set, and a Rockstar. Ive been playing 39 years, and I've played on most name brand kits. The Tama line in my humble opinion would definitely be the better choice. The Rockstars are not the best selling kit in history by mistake. They sound great for their price point, and I say their hardware is superior. Also, they have better re-sale value, when you decide to unload them, and move up.
This thread is seven years old. I think the OP may have made a decision by now...